Extract liquid amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiodad

Reaction score
I recently moved to full boils in the garage. Still doing extract brews though. How much should you adjust the water volume for each pound of liquid extract? I'm sure there must be a calculation for this.. My first I used DME and it came out right where I wanted it, but my second used liquid extract and I wound up with almost 6 gallons of brew instead of the usual 5.25 or so. Any help is appreciated here. Thanks!

since it's extract it'll mainly depend on your boil off rate...

How much water do you boil off in an hour? I think the average is about a gallon

So if you wanted 5.25 boil 6.25...

Oh and add your extract at the last 10 min or so for a lighter color...

Good luck!

I've never calculated it, but a pound of extract syrup seems to run about a pint in volume (i.e., when I got 7# of syrup, it nearly filled up a gallon bucket).

For a 5.5 gallon batch, I usually shoot for a seven gallon start for my boil. I add 5 gallons to the kettle, bring that up to about 180 or so, cut the fire, add my extract and reconstitute fully, then top off with more water to my desired spot. If I steep grains, I do that with an appropriate volume of water, add the balance of the first 5 gallons, and go from there.

And, if you are doing full wort boils, don't worry about darkening or scorching your extract. Just get it fully reconsituted and enjoy a full boil. You will be happier later on.

TL

TexLaw said:
I've never calculated it, but a pound of extract syrup seems to run about a pint in volume (i.e., when I got 7# of syrup, it nearly filled up a gallon bucket).

For a 5.5 gallon batch, I usually shoot for a seven gallon start for my boil. I add 5 gallons to the kettle, bring that up to about 180 or so, cut the fire, add my extract and reconstitute fully, then top off with more water to my desired spot. If I steep grains, I do that with an appropriate volume of water, add the balance of the first 5 gallons, and go from there.

And, if you are doing full wort boils, don't worry about darkening or scorching your extract. Just get it fully reconsituted and enjoy a full boil. You will be happier later on.

TL

Ahh sound advice never thought about doing that!! Just mark a spot on the pot and make sure it hits there after the extract is in... Sounds like a great idea! Thanks!

Back