Extract kit yeast choices - which to get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooDaddy

Reaction score
Going to purchase a Double Chocolate Stout extract kit from AHS - they are asking what kind of yeast I want - the choices are:

-White Labs London Ale

-Wyeast British Ale

-Muntons Premium Gold Ale Dry yeast

Recommendations?

Also, any advantage/disadvantage of LME vs DME?

Thanks much!

Hi Moo. The first two choices are liquid yeasts and work best if you make a starter (not complicated, but if you haven't done one before, its an extra step and time). The Munton is a, as it says, a dry yeast. I can't speak from experience, but I am under the impression that Muntons is not great dry yeast. Someone with direct experience may come along and offer better adivce than I can give on that product.

Two dry yeasts for this style that I would recommend are Fermentis' US-04 and Danstar's Windsor. If you ask AHS, I bet they would substitute either those strains.

I prefer DME for ease of use, but it is a little more expensive. You makes your choices . . .

I can't speak from experience, but I am under the impression that Muntons is not great dry yeast.

The regular Munton's is optimized for can + kilo kits, so it's attenuation is low. The Gold yeast is much better for all-malt beers. You'd be fine with it.

Going to purchase a Double Chocolate Stout extract kit from AHS - they are asking what kind of yeast I want - the choices are:

-White Labs London Ale

-Wyeast British Ale

-Muntons Premium Gold Ale Dry yeast

Recommendations?

Also, any advantage/disadvantage of LME vs DME?

LME is easier to pour, contains less fementables, and costs less. DME contains more fermentables, costs more, and pouring can be a little tricky because it gets sticky when exposed to any humidity. Either works. I use a combination of both for most of my beers.

The Munton is a, as it says, a dry yeast. I can't speak from experience, but I am under the impression that Muntons is not great dry yeast. Someone with direct experience may come along and offer better adivce than I can give on that product.

Two dry yeasts for this style that I would recommend are Fermentis' US-04...

I've used the regular munton's several times and it does the job- however, for a double stout you'll probably need more than a single 6 gram packet. Like others, I'd recommend Fermentis, either US 04 or US 05.

Back