Extract IPA Recipe #3224234254

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roflsaurus

Reaction score
looking for some input from the brilliant and experienced posters here on hbt. this will be my 2nd brew. hoping for a subtle hoppiness ipa with some citrusy flavor. certain i don't know what i'm doing here but hoping someone will critique this.

note: this is a 3 gallon recipe, starting with 3.62 in the pot to start the steep and boil

1 lbs Briess DME Pilsen
3 lbs Briess DME Pilsen (Late addition at flame out)
1 lbs Crystal 30L steeped for 30 mins at 160
.50 oz Centennial at 60
.50 oz Cascade at 15
Dry hop 1.00 oz Cascade for 3 days in secondary after 2ish week primary and 7 days in secondary
1 Pkg Nottingham Danstar

Est OG 1.063
IBU 55.4
Color 8.5 SRM
Est ABV 6.3
IBU/SG 0.879

any direction would be greatly appreciated

Looks OK.

IPAs tend to be less sweeter than Pale Ales, and for that reason I'd probably cut the Crystal down to about half a pound (or less). For reference, the standard recipe of SNPA would use 1 lb of Crystal C60 for 5 gallons.

Also extract sometimes doesn't ferment out as much as you might want. I'd maybe substitute a half pound of table sugar for a half pound of DME to help dry it out.

I'd probably add some cascade at 5 or 0 minutes too to get a little more complex hop profile.

I'm certainly not brilliant, but I've made about 150 IPAs so I'd say I'm experienced.

A pound of crystal is too much for a 3 gallon batch. Use no more than .5 pound of it, but even less would be better in my opinion.

Increase the hops by increasing late additions. You could even decrease the bittering (60 minute addition) to keep the IBUs at 55 or so, but you need hops in the later additions. Like this:

.35 oz Centennial at 60 (or to about 35-40 IBUs with this addition)
.50 oz Cascade at 15
.50 oz centennial at 5 (or if you have one ounce total of centennial, use the remainder here, .65 oz)
.50 oz cascade at 0

.75- 1 oz dryhops 5-7 days before packaging.

Don't bother dryhopping in primary, as by the time you bottle the aromatics will be gone. Dryhop an ounce at 5-7 days before bottling.

I'm certainly not brilliant, but I've made about 150 IPAs so I'd say I'm experienced.

A pound of crystal is too much for a 3 gallon batch. Use no more than .5 pound of it, but even less would be better in my opinion.

Increase the hops by increasing late additions. You could even decrease the bittering (60 minute addition) to keep the IBUs at 55 or so, but you need hops in the later additions. Like this:

.35 oz Centennial at 60 (or to about 35-40 IBUs with this addition)
.50 oz Cascade at 15
.50 oz centennial at 5 (or if you have one ounce total of centennial, use the remainder here, .65 oz)
.50 oz cascade at 0

.75- 1 oz dryhops 5-7 days before packaging.

Don't bother dryhopping in primary, as by the time you bottle the aromatics will be gone. Dryhop an ounce at 5-7 days before bottling.

beautiful. i set the 30L to .25 lbs and did this hop schedule exactly. looks awesome. hope to brew this weekend. also, thanks so much for the input!

Back