Extract during mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Aside from the drop in hop utilization, would there be any other downside to adding the extract during the mash of a partial? I figure with the enzyme activity it may up the fermentables of the DME a little. If I leaned more towards the 2 qt/lb grain side would I still run the risk of a stuck mash?

the enzymes will not break down the DME and make it more fermentable. that was already done at the factory where the DME was made.

malt extracts aren't 100% fermentable (generally only like 75%) which is why I'm assuming they tend to finish with higher FG. so I thought reintroducing it into enzymes would help up that value.

shooter I meant it would lower my hop utilization by having a higher SG since I'd be adding it so early.

shooter I meant it would lower my hop utilization by having a higher SG since I'd be adding it so early.

Is this assuming you are doing a late extract addition? I'd think you might actually tend to leave more of the fermentable sugars from the extract behind in the mash when you sparged and end up with a lower starting gravity than if you just mashed the grains like normal and then added the extract in to the boil kettle at the start of the boil.

Back