Extract brews that taste very similar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbolte1976

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done 3 batches of extract kits all Coopers brand. I brewed a Lager, Wheat, and a IPA. To be honest with you they all tasted very simliar? Wondering what your guys input might be.

They sat in the primary for about 7 days, I conditioned in the bottle. I know I could let the beer age longer in the bottle but....well you know.

I've noticed the beer gets pretty darn good about the time I've ran out :)

Is that part of my problem or is it a trait of hopped extracts to taste similiar?

Thanks for your input, I think I'm going to brew a Stout next. I should be able taste that difference. :) I hope.

Jason

I have brewed several Cooper's kits and have not found that. What are you using as the other half of the fermentables? If you are using dextrose as Cooper's suggests, I can see what you are describing happening. I use another can of LME.

I have brewed several Cooper's kits and have not found that. What are you using as the other half of the fermentables? If you are using dextrose as Cooper's suggests, I can see what you are describing happening. I use another can of LME.

I have just used what they called for. Maybe I'll try what you mentioned.

Thanks,

Jason

How long did you let it bottle condition? My Coopers didn't really come into its own until about 3 weeks into conditioning.

If you're using the Cooper's yeast that may be the problem as well. A lager should use a quality lager yeast and be fermented cooler than an ale. These beers should all taste pretty differently if the correct yeast is used. If you're using a significant amount of corn sugar that'll make 'em all taste like cider as well. Check out the recipe section here and try one of those recipes. You may just find yourself finished with hopped extracts and corn sugar as a fermentable.

I find Coopers kits to be kind of generic. Especially their pre-hopped extract kits.

Better than mr. beer, but not as good as Brewer's Best or the kits that are a few dollars more.

I found the same thing making kits. Once I started experimenting with different recipes and different yeasts, it opened a whole new world.

I found the same thing making kits. Once I started experimenting with different recipes and different yeasts, it opened a whole new world.

That's kinda where I'm at, I think I'm gonna do one more hopped extract with a better yeast and not use dextrose this time. I've been thinking about getting some clone recipes that use extracts to get started.

I find Coopers kits to be kind of generic. Especially their pre-hopped extract kits.

Better than mr. beer, but not as good as Brewer's Best or the kits that are a few dollars more.

I just picked up a Mr Beer kit to try it out, I like the idea of being able to experiment with 2 gallons instead of 6.

If you're using the Cooper's yeast that may be the problem as well. A lager should use a quality lager yeast and be fermented cooler than an ale. These beers should all taste pretty differently if the correct yeast is used. If you're using a significant amount of corn sugar that'll make 'em all taste like cider as well. Check out the recipe section here and try one of those recipes. You may just find yourself finished with hopped extracts and corn sugar as a fermentable.

I'm gonna try that and that Cider taste could be what's made these all taste similiar.

How long did you let it bottle condition? My Coopers didn't really come into its own until about 3 weeks into conditioning.

I'll admit I started drinking this after it was in the bottle only about 2 weeks, it goes w/o saying the different between the 1st beer out of the batch and the last was like night and day (My impatience was probably part of the problem).

Thanks guys it's much appreciated.

Jason

I've brewed 4 cooper's kits, the first one was alright, but yeah, the rest taste quite similar. Especially the dark ale and the bitter that I did. My 2 extract and grain brews are sitting in the secondary and the primary and I'm really looking forward to being able to drink those.

Back