Extract batch with 2-Row in grain bill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VampireSix

Reaction score
I made an extract batch this last weekend from a recipe I found that included a pound of 2-row malt along with a pound of specialty grains (crystal 15L).

The instructions said to steep the grains for 45 mins at 149F in 3 quarts of water. Thinking this was just another specialty grain steep, I used my boil volume of 4.5 gallons for my grain steep.

Today, while doing more research about the yeast I used (Wyeast 1968), I came across a thread that indicated the 2-Row was there for basically a 'mini-mash'. A quick bit of research about mashing (I previously knew nothing) shows that 1.5 quarts per pound of grains is the ratio to use, so this confirms the 3 quarts in the recipe.

Now, I'm not going to ask 'did I ruin my beer?', because I'm certain it will still turn out fine. However, I'm curious as to what impact, if any, is the larger water:grain ratio going to have?

If you only used 1 lb. of 2-row and held it at 149 F for 45 minutes, then everything will be fine. You essentially mashed it, so don't listen to the below poster. The only thing you did wrong is mashing it in your entire boil volume. But say you used 8# extract, 1# 2-row, and 1# crystal... that's only 10% 2-row, which is a rather insignificant amount compared to the fermentables as a whole. If you want to have some meaningful control over alcohol/body, then you would need to mash at least 1/3 of your potential fermentables.

Back