Extract Additions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ster

Reaction score
Extract does not need to be boiled, so why not just boil hops, and add all extract at flameout? What is the minimum you should add to the boil on a 2g partial boil for a 5g batch?

The minimum amount of extract depends on several variables. A beer needs to have good "drinkability". To achieve that, you need to have balance between the base malt character, the bitterness from the hops, the flavor and aroma from the hops, the flavors from any specialty malts used, the residual sweetness, the alcohol and the flavor profile added by the yeast. So there isn't really one standard answer. Perhaps start with a commercial beer you like and try to find a clone recipe and go from there.

Last edited:
I've been under the impression that it's better to have something more than just water, though I'm not certain exactly why or if it's even accurate. My understanding is something a bit minimal would be about 1/4 in the boil.

But I've heard of hop teas, which don't have anything but water from my understanding working just fine.

Basic rule of thumb is one pound extract per gallon of water. I've used 2-2 1/2 pounds in 3 gallons of water with good results. You need a little malt in the boil for good hop isomerization.

Back