Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancericson11

Reaction score
Looking to brew a lake/river beer. Looking for light body, low ABV, with a slight malt flavor balanced with Citrus hop profile here is what I came up with:

Batch Size: 5.0 gal
Boil Size: 6.0 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 7.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Mash Temp: Target 154 F
Sparge Temp: 170 F

4.0 lb Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
3.0 lb Pale Malt 2-Row
1.5 lb Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Vienna

0.5 oz Centennial [9.75 %] (60 min)
0.5 oz Hallertrau [4.5 %] (15 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0%] (10 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [5.75%] (10 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau [4.5 %] (5 min)
0.5 oz Simcoe [13.0 %] (Flame out)
0.5 oz Cascade [5.75 %] (Flame out)
2.00 oz Citra [12.0 %] (Dry Hop 7 Days)

1 Pkgs WYEAST Northwest Ale 1332 (2 Day Starter)

What makes this an "extra" pale ale? Overall it looks good to me, hop schedule looks more complicated than i think you probably need but to each his own. Also why use centennial as your bittering hops but then have them no where else in your recipe? Id switch out some of that 10 min simcoe and your centennial bittering addition it just seems like a more efficient use of hops to me.

Update to Hop Schedule to 30/15/5/Flameout. I added an extra 1.0 oz of cascade and simacoe to total hop schedule as late addition for more flavor and aroma.

This bumbs IBU ~ 46 which is still in the Maltose Falcons range up to 55 IBU

0.5 oz Centennial [11.5%] (30 min)
0.5 oz Hallertrau [4.5%] (15 min)
0.5 oz Simacoe [13%] (15 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7.5%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau [4.5%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Centennial [11.5%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Simacoe [13.0%] (5 min)
1.0 oz Simcoe [13.0%] (Flame out)
1.0 oz Cascade [7.5%] (Flame out)
2.00 oz Citra [12.0%] (Dry Hop 7 Days)

that looks better IMO but again seems a little more complex than it needs to be, 8oz of hops for a 5 gal batch is A LOT. I have achieved much higher IBU and also had plenty of flavor and aroma using half of that. 1 good bittering addition @ 60 or First wort hop then 5 and flame out works just fine for me. I feel like you also aren't going to notice much of a difference if you use these 5 types of hops or just 3. It seems like using all of this is just overkill and you could very well have a great beer but you also may just be muddling up your flavors by using so many. My mentality has always been Keep It Simple Stupid

Thought about it and decided to drop the Simcoe hops, if something is missing I can always brew it again :) . I want to see if the Citra will pull the fruit and citrus notes from the other three hops. I will be brewing this as my next batch in a few weeks and will post photos and how it turned out. Commercial Beer example: SnowPark XPA ~38 IBU (Cascade Lakes); Stealhead XPA ~26 IBU (Mad River)

Thank you for the input Crash568 on the hop profile which is basically the profile for SnowPark with Hallertau instead of Liberty.

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.057 SG
Estimated Color: 7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36-40 IBU

Mash Temp: Target 154 F

4.5 lb Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
3.5 lb Pale Malt 2-Row
1.5 lb Wheat Malt
1.0 lb Vienna

0.5 oz Hallertau [4.5%] (FWH)
0.5 oz Centennial [11.5%] (60 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7.5%] (15 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau [4.5%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7.5%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Centennial [11.5%] (5 min)
0.5 oz Cascade [7.5%] (FO)
0.5 oz Citra [12.0%] (FO)
1.5 oz Citra [12.0%] (DH 7 Days)

I think that looks much better! Far less complicated, the only thing I was looking at was your FWH addition. I dont think you are going to get much from Hallertau as a FWH and you could probably utilize that .5 oz better in this beer possibly as a FO addition. Something with such a low AA isnt going to be doing much for you at that point and the 60min addition is probably giving you almost all you ibus correct?

i guess it depends on your definition of "low ABV". you're looking at a 6-6.5% beer there which is higher mid range to me. for a summer beer, i prefer a 1.040-ish around 25 IBU. i would use a small 60 min addition of a neutral bittering hop like magnum and then load up at 10 and FO with citra or one of the other citrusy flavoring hops. a lower ABV would allow the hop flavor to come through. you just have to be careful with the 60 min addition at lower gravity.

I think that looks much better! Far less complicated, the only thing I was looking at was your FWH addition. I dont think you are going to get much from Hallertau as a FWH and you could probably utilize that .5 oz better in this beer possibly as a FO addition. Something with such a low AA isnt going to be doing much for you at that point and the 60min addition is probably giving you almost all you ibus correct?

Yes, most of the bittering is coming from the Centennial-60 (21 IBU), Cascade-15 (7 IBU), Centennial-5 (4 IBU). I was going to move to FO but thought I would try FWH since the AA is so low.

I think I will give it a go at FO and might try FWH on another my standard brew just see if I notice a difference.

Thank you for the input

i guess it depends on your definition of "low ABV". you're looking at a 6-6.5% beer there which is higher mid range to me. for a summer beer, i prefer a 1.040-ish around 25 IBU. i would use a small 60 min addition of a neutral bittering hop like magnum and then load up at 10 and FO with citra or one of the other citrusy flavoring hops. a lower ABV would allow the hop flavor to come through. you just have to be careful with the 60 min addition at lower gravity.

I have the hops above on hand, with NW Ale yeast (69%) BYO Beer Calculator is showing 5%. 60/10/FO is a good suggestion, will try it next time. We are still in the mid to high 40s I have time to brew a few batches before summer, which starts here July 5.

The mash at 154 seems a bit high for a light body beer. For lighter IPAs or pale ales I aim for 150. I should dry it out a bit more and let the hops be more crisp.

I may try 152 F as target. I intend to bounce between target and -2 degrees with my setup. If I aim for 152 then it should be between 150 & 152. Didn't think about the mash temp & a lighter body
thank you.

With the new comments. The IBU's would be lower I also dropped the ABV to less than 5%. It takes about 40 mins for my wort to drop to pitching temp. FO addition is more like a 5 min anyway.

Batch Size: 5.5 gal
Boil Size: 6.5 gal
Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated FG: 1.016 SG
Estimated Color: 7 SRM
Estimated IBU: ~30 IBU
Estimated ABV: 4.7%

Strike Temp: 165 F
Mash Temp: Target 150-152 F

4.0 lb Briess Golden Light Liquid Malt Extract
3.0 lb Pale Malt 2-Row
1.5 lb Wheat Malt
1.5 lb Vienna

0.6 oz Centennial [11.5%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Cascade [7.5%] (10 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau [4.5%] (10 min)
0.75 oz Cascade [7.5%] (FO)
0.5 oz Centennial [11.5%] (FO)
0.5 oz Citra [12.0%] (FO)
1.5 oz Citra [12.0%] (DH 7 Days)

IMO you're not gonna get much from that Hallertau addition.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

IMO you're not gonna get much from that Hallertau addition.

Sent from hell
using Home Brew

Forgot to the 0.5 Hallertau at FO. LHBS Centennial was 10.9% AA made the change to current AA%. Picking up ingredients this weekend. Brewing next week (Dad of three have to brew during the week after bedtime).

0.6 oz Centennial [10.9%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Cascade [7.7%] (10 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau [5.2%] (10 min)
0.5 oz Hallertau [5.2%] (FO)
0.75 oz Cascade [7.7%] (FO)
0.4 oz Centennial [10.9%] (FO)
0.5 oz Citra [13.9%] (FO)
1.5 oz Citra [13.9%] (DH 7 Days)

I think its pretty impressive that you have refined this recipe and taken all the input into consideration to make this recipe far less complex and really give you a great beer in the end. Cheers my man!

I think its pretty impressive that you have refined this recipe and taken all the input into consideration to make this recipe far less complex and really give you a great beer in the end. Cheers my man!

Thank you crash568. I am very pleased with the results and appreciate the advice from blackbear, rlmiller10, and beerkench. This is why I joined HBT; the immense knowledge and willingness to collaborate. :mug:

I will post pics, wish I could post a sample

Latest posts

Back