Extinct Beer Style - Uitzet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitusc

Reaction score
I'm trying to brew an old Belgian style called an Uitzet or Uytzet. Its from the Dutch speaking region of Flanders and I think it is a cousin of the Saison. There are a couple commercial examples, but they are not available in the States. Does anyone have any information or can find any information on ingredients used to brew this style of beer? Especially in regards to hops. I'm pretty sure they used buckwheat, oats, candi sugar, and a mixed yeast culture but thats all I got so far. Thanks. Cheers!

I was going to say Randy Mosher would be a better bet, but you don't even need to email him: http://www.anhc.com.au/home/index.p...:bieres-dorge-des-flandres&catid=42&Itemid=67

The type of hops originally used is probably no longer available. I'd think any classic low AA% French/German variety would do for a first try.

I've been thinking of doing a sour with buckwheat for awhile. It has capric acid which is sort of goaty, but when esterified turns fruity/sweet.

Latest posts

Back