Explosive fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawnstve

Reaction score
Hey, if my fermentation goes up and out of the air lock, do I need to worry about a anything? Is my brew ruined? I really wasn’t expecting this type of crazy fermentation. Haha!

Attachments

• 69BEEB5C-DFB4-4F5B-8C5F-ABEFE9F4032E.jpeg
    69BEEB5C-DFB4-4F5B-8C5F-ABEFE9F4032E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
if the airlock clogs, you can get enough pressure built up to 'explode'. either keep an eye on it and make sure it says clear or get a blow off tube hooked up.

if the airlock clogs, you can get enough pressure built up to 'explode'. either keep an eye on it and make sure it says clear or get a blow off tube hooked up.
Could I just replace the airlock with a new one? What’s a blow off tube?

A blow off tube is just a hose inserted in to the bung then run to a container of water or sanitizer. I use about 3 feet of 5/16" tubing in to a 2 liter flask. It's kind of like an oversized airlock

If fermentation has calmed down, usually about 24 - 36 hours after fermentation starts. You can just replace the airlock

I do ^that^ too, but there is a 4 point thing on the bottom that helps you push it through the bung. It does act like a trap of sorts and could clog easily. I cut all the little points off all mine (below the red line), problem fixed.
View attachment 694289
Mine doesn’t have that, it’s open at the bottom.

+1 to the blowoff tube idea, and for checking the bottom of your airlock. I ended up buying a carboy cap so I can get a bigger opening to my tube... but then I ended up never using it as I got scared of glass and switched to a SS fermenter (yes, I know I'm a wimp) with a blow-off tube kit.

Congrats on the vigorous fermentation!

Make sure the other end of the blow-off tube goes into a bowl, glass or jar that has some sanitary liquid in it - star-san in a glass is common.

f54.gif

edit: fixed image

Last edited:
Recipient of an exploded carboy here. Blow off tube, yes.

I saw the airlock was gunky and thought "I should clean that right after I make some eggs" eggs hit the pan and it blew out the bottom. Happens quick.

I had the same problem with my first brew and panicked. A friend suggested that I use a blow-off tube (had to YouTube to find out what that was). Second batch used a blow off tube and no problem. By the way, the "overflow" batch turned out just fine.

I know this is an older thread but thought I would drop my 2 cents in. I had an airlock get filled with krausen about 4 months ago, ever since then I have only used a blow-off tube. My jar of sanitizer is about a gallon half filled with starsan since I usually have 2 fermenters going at once.

Anywho, just my input, take it for what it's worth and Happy Brewing!

Latest posts

Back