Explosive fermentation with hops in slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
I've used endless slurrys and dry yeast at the same level in the fermenter. I've never had a single issue with blow off using the same 05 yeast
I've also always used a hop bag in the boil and get a clean slurry

Last brew I tried throwing the hops straight in the boil to see if I would get more flavor.
I always suck up everything from the BK into the fermenter. So there was hops mixed into the slurry I saved.

Its a double batch with 2 fermenters.
They both EXPLODED. Beer everywhere in the chest freezer, I added a blowoff tube to the airlock and it clogged multiple times. Tops blew open a few times...massive fermentation that finished in 3 days. Same controlled temps at 68

So I guess hops aid in fermentation somehow?

Any input as to why?

20190429_154326.jpg

Oh Man!!!
Maybe, chemical imbalances in the wort. Maybe, a Gram-P infection. When fermentation is within three days it's best to carbonate the beer and drink it young. If an oil slick develops on top of the beer or if a white ring develops around the bottle, the beer's infected. Best thing, don't add gunk into a fermenter. Allow the wort to rest for a few hours, rack the wort off the trub and aerate. Exchange the buckets for carboys and use a large blow off tube.

i was fermenting a lager one time that did this, i used washed yeast pitched at 48 degrees and then bumped the temp up to 50, it exploded all in my chest freezer and then fermentation stopped and the beer never finished, i still don’t understand what went wrong

Last brew I tried throwing the hops straight in the boil to see if I would get more flavor.
I always suck up everything from the BK into the fermenter. So there was hops mixed into the slurry I saved.

I do this all the time and never have a blow-off. In fact, I generally don't get a lot of kraeusen. But I leave a lot of headroom - 5 gallons in a 7.9 gallon fermenter. Maybe this was just coincidence. How full was the fermenter?

Judging from the lower left corner of your picture, you took the most important step in matters like these.
Bacon grease
Bacon and beer. I live in a little slice of heaven

Is that what you were thinking it was?

Last edited:
I do this all the time and never have a blow-off. In fact, I generally don't get a lot of kraeusen. But I leave a lot of headroom - 5 gallons in a 7.9 gallon fermenter. Maybe this was just coincidence. How full was the fermenter?
I filled to the bottom of the krausen ring in the pic. There's a line around the inside of the bucket that you can see in the pic. Thats my fill line always. It's the exact amount for a full keg. The only variable between this batch and every other batch that I never have a blow off is the hops in the slurry. I figured there had to be a connection

I would ask, what was the fermentation like in the batch that this yeast came out of? I will usually get at least 3 standard mason jars of slurry from a batch, and will only use one of them to start the next one. I don't always wash the yeast either, depends on the batch it was coming out of. I'm thinking maybe overpitched a bit?

Back