Exploding Smack PAcks?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ok, first off This did not happen, sorry to get your hopes up. But it very may well happen before I get a chance to pich it. I had one swell up a little a couple weeksago on the drive home from the brew shop. It sat in the fridge but didn't go down, as expected, no way to vent. THe pack was still good and solid. So I activated it this mornign when I started my brew day. WEll I just started my boil and the thing is ROCK SOLID. I put it in a bucket with a lid in case it blows. I hope not. Then I'm screwed.
Has anyone ever had on of those explode on them?? I'm sure it'll spew good when I open it!

wow, if it explodes put some pics on here! try not to loose a hand from an exploding yeast pack! hahaha i'm sure it'll be fine. i'm sure they've tested the yeast to make sure it would never explode if "smacked" early.

I'm pretty sure the smack packs are designed to handle the pressure. There is a finite amount of fermentables in the smack pack so they can calculate how much CO2 is produced assuming perfect fermentation. If it inflates and is hard as a rock it means the smack pack is working.

I've never seen one explode. A LHBS has a pack that's smacked and sits on the counter to show customers what it looks like. It's been there for weeks and is hard as a football but doesn't explode.

Back