Exploding bottles at altitude??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomGoestheTNT

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Headed to Tahoe today with a bunch of guys to ski and watch basketball this weekend and bringing two cases of homebrew in crown capped 22 oz bottles. Mentioned it to a buddy at homebrew club last week and he was like “don’t do that! They’ll explode on the way up!”. Doesn’t make sense to me, but wanted to see if anyone ever heard of bottles exploding when transferred from sea level to alititude. Cheers!

They will not, unless you've carbed them to the limits of what a bottle can handle.
think about this. Do you think breweries do a split in their bottling line to carbonate lower for selling over a certain altitude?

You'll get a nicer head in the glass though :)

Right? Seemed like a silly concern but thought I'd see if anyone had this happen. Now all I've got to worry about is the 3-4 feet of snow that's falling...
I wouldnt worry about it unless like Smellygove said, they’re highly carbed already. I’m at 1400ft and take bottles up to Truckee all the time. Never had an issue.

If your nervous about it, grab a plastic bin and drop the case in there. Should be good. Enjoy the riding. Its about time winter showed up!

Belive it or not, I got to about 4000 ft and BOOM! One actually blew in the back seat! Pulled over in blowing snowstorm to clean up the glass and take stock. Decided to soldier on without incident and all the other bottles survived. Guess I found the overcarbed bottle!

Back