Exploding Ball Lcok Fitting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sacdan

Reaction score
Anyone ever have a ball lock fitting explode on them? I was putting the gas side on a keg and it exploded in my hand. It sounded like a gunshot. I have one hell of a bruise on the palm of my hand. The threaded piece that is on the top of the fitting is gone. I can't find any trace of it. I was using a portable CO2 charger that takes the 16g cartridges. I have never had anything like this happen. Thank God it happened to me and not someone else. It is my keg after all.

Did you have the fitting on the keg while doing this? It specifically states on the charger package they can explode if it isn't attached to the keg when you screw it on is why I ask.

Nope. I had the CO2 connected to the fitting already. I don't have the original packaging. I guess I should have read it a little better. I have always left the whole thing assembled and put it I the keg.

So that probably explains it. I just used mine for the first time over the weekend and wondered if I was doing it right (even though I did have directions still :) )

Back