Expired yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBrewthere4Iam

Reaction score
So I am new to starters and have only made 3.

I bought wlp041 but it was just past its expiration ( end of Oct). The brew store it should still be viable and I should just make a starter. I understood before I bought it that it may not be good. Anyway I am wondering if all the cells might have been dead.

I followed the 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water. Boil for 15, cool then pitch yeast. Normally when doing this, all three times. I have seen "action" in the flask within 12 hours.

I made a starter last night and something does not look/feel right.

It basically looks like a flat beer in my flask. I have swirled it every time I walk past.

So question is how long do I wait before I scrap this and buy a new yeast?

Thanks for any advice.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416238528.008784.jpg

I used a vial of expired yeast yesterday and am very nervous of the results or lack there of. My vial had been kicking in my fridge for quite a long time and I decided to go with it.
Let us know how you made out. Maybe it's just taking extra time?

I'd be willing to bet that there are viable cells in there, but the count is so low that it can take a while for them to come to life. With a stir plate, likely 48 hours or a bit more. Without a stir plate, it could take 3 or 4 days to finish out.

Take a gravity sample.

I prepared a starter once with some English Ale yeast. It didn't appear very active, but I had it on a stir plate and experience told me that sometimes these things can ferment out VERY quickly (especially English Ale, on a stir plate), so I proceeded to cold crash it and prepared for brew day anyway.

On brew day, just to make sure, I took a gravity sample of the starter. 1.040. It clearly had not fermented at all, so it went down the drain and I rehydrated a pack of Nottingham instead.

I unfortunately only have a hydrometer and afraid if I take a reading I will have no start left.

Thanks for the replies.

I personally buy expired vials at a discounted rate from my LHBS all the time. I haven't had any problems yet. But my process for them is below.

I started with a lower gravity wort about 1.030 around 800-1000mL for the starter. I always include yeast nutrient in there as well.

I then decant and step it up to a 1500mL starter at 1.040 and either pitch that or step it up again for whatever brew I'm doing.

In my experience it's good to throw some yeast nutrient in there with an expired vial/packet. Definitely won't hurt anything. I've seen some lag maybe a few days with those that were pretty old. I'd give it a few extra days and then decide whether to toss it or not. With the expiration date being the end of Oct. that really isn't very old. There should be some viable cells left in there especially if it was stored correctly.

FWIW I use the same process when stepping up Brett culture and it's paid off big time.

I made cider on 10/25, and when looked at the vial just after pitching the yeast, it had an expiration date of 2013! I can't believe I had it in my fridge for that long!

I had a pack of Notty on backup, but after 3 days of waiting, the airlock started bubbling, and it is still chugging along today, over 3 weeks later. Never did need that Notty after all, so when I bottle the cider, I am going to make a batch of hard lemonade on the lees.

So I am new to starters and have only made 3.

I bought wlp041 but it was just past its expiration ( end of Oct). The brew store it should still be viable and I should just make a starter. I understood before I bought it that it may not be good. Anyway I am wondering if all the cells might have been dead.

I followed the 1/2 cup DME to 2 cups water. Boil for 15, cool then pitch yeast. Normally when doing this, all three times. I have seen "action" in the flask within 12 hours.

I made a starter last night and something does not look/feel right.

It basically looks like a flat beer in my flask. I have swirled it every time I walk past.

So question is how long do I wait before I scrap this and buy a new yeast?

Thanks for any advice.

View attachment 236554

It's just going to take a few days, hang in there.

I've had good luck with year past expiration starters, they just need an extra day to stretch their legs. With 3+ year old used yeast vials I've had poor luck reviving straight to starter, but I'm 4 for 5 starting with a petri dish and stepping up to a starter.

Back