Experimenting with fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike1986

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been asked before (I imagine it has), but I guess I just want someone's opinion on what I'm thinking.

My friends and I have brewed two batches from kits with surprising success. For this batch we want to try and add a little of our own. I'm starting with a Brewer's Best milk stout kit (an extract kit for a 5 gallon batch), and want to add some more chocolate and some cherries to it. I bought some frozen tart cherries (couldn't find any fresh), and from what I've read ~1# of cherries per gallon of beer is good. For chocolate I was thinking of just adding some cocoa powder (about 4 ounces as the kit already has dark chocolate grains).

I'm thinking brew as the kit's instructions say, and after 2 weeks in primary rack onto the fruit in secondary.

My question is should I add something like lactose to keep the sugar in the cocoa and cherries from making the beer too dry? I'm looking for a heavier beer with a subtle yet noticeable cherry flavor, I'm just worried that it'll be a little over the top. The kit comes with 1/2# of lactose for a 5 gallon batch, will more than this be necessary? Thanks, and cheers!

I just made a raspberry (5 gal) and I added 5bl raspberries frozen/thawed/smashed to the primary about 5 days into fermentaton. I just racked for the 2nd (1st from primary to carboy and then a week later into another carboy) time to filter out raspberry leftovers from the carboy and am about to bottle it. I did try some that was elft over in the autosiphon and it tasted awesome.

Hydro

Your normal stout recipe should provide enough unfermentables so don't worry about the fruit addition drying things out.

Use unsweetened cocoa powder. I found Hershey's to be the lowest in fat.

Make a puree out of the cherries, I used 6lbs of cherry puree (Oregon Cherry brand) in my Black Forest stout (and 1 lb of cocoa powder). The fruit will kick-off another fermentation in secondary so have an SG reading for reference when you start secondary.

Mine is still in secondary after 3 weeks but I'm liking the taste so far.

Back