Experimental Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjl110

Reaction score
I'm trying to get a malty/sweet amber with a clean hop nose. I purposefully already got the grain milled and everything so I can't chicken out on it. I kinda wanna see what I'm "made of" as far as formulation goes. The hop schedule can change I guess, and probably will as I think I might have to order some more for dry hopping purposes, but the grain is locked in. I originally wanted this to be red in color, but I think I overshot the SRMs. Anyway, want to hear if anyone has any thoughts. Am I going to have 5 gallons of undrinkable beer? Ahh, who am I kidding, never met a beer I couldn't drink! (Sam Adams saison was close though!)

4# 2 row
3# LME
1# 60L
1# Munich
.5 120L
2 oz Melanoiden
2oz roasted barley

.25 Columbus @ 20
1 Simcoe @ 20
1 Centennial @ 10
1 Centennial @ Flameout

Questions? Comments? Snide remarks? :mug:

Edit: Sorry, forgot my numbers! OG 1.060/IBU 45/SRM 18

sounds like it will be a nice dark amber. no bittering hops? i want to try that on my next batch i think that might be a good idea and a twist on the ordinary. Should turn out nicely. What yeast are you useing?

Ha! Sorry, US05 for the yeast.

Yes, no bittering hops. I had some originally, but have had good success with not using a bittering addition in several other recipes. The malt seemed to come through more, even with a decent level of IBUs. It seemed that the hops were more in the nose than on your tongue, which is what I'm going for here. Hoppy nose fading into sweet malty taste, hopefully.

Back