Experience with "Super Yeast X-Press" yeast? ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJS3779

Reaction score
Good p.m. I am using "Super Yeast X-Press". I am trying to make apple cider with a relatively high alcohol level. I started off with 5.5 gallons of apple cider and added 12 lbs. of sugar which produced a starting specific gravity of 1.250. I also added some Go-Firm yeast nutrient and the mixture is kept in a box that is controlled to 75 degrees F. The mixture is opened and stirred every
other day. At the 6 day mark the fermentation is active, but somewhat slow, as determined by the frequency of bubbles coming out of the air-lock. The specific gravity is only down to 1.200. This fermentation appears to be very slow, especially considering the info on the Super Yeast X-Press package. Does anyone have experience with this yeast? Thanks.

Good p.m. Thanks for the reply. (1) Regarding measuring specific gravity ... I'm using a hydrometer. (2) Regarding my starting gravity ... that was a typo. It ought to have been 1.125. (3) To get % alcohol I'm using (staring gravity - ending gravity) * 131.25. So, if the cider ferments out to ~ 1.000 the % alcohol ought to be near 16%, which ought to be within the tolerance of the SuperYeast. Thanks. TJS3779

Starting SG = 1.125. Current SG, after six days, = 1.120. The rate of bubbles out of the air lock is about once every 10 seconds; slow fermentation.

I don’t have experience with that yeast, and it does seem odd how slow that is fermenting.

It sounds like you are new to fermenting, or at least fermenting cider. Can I ask why you choose this turbo express yeast? I’ve yet to make cider over 8%, I prefer the no added sugar taste which ends up being around 6% which is more than fine for me. But everything I found on the Turbo X-Press yeast showed it to be a cheap yeast for making a base for distilling, not for drinking. And not only that, but it also appears you need to charcoal filter the results before distilling due to the off flavors the yeast produces. Charcoal filtering would remove any cider flavors as well.

Regular wine/champagne yeasts can hit 16% ABV and almost certainly the result will taste much better than using Turbo X-Press. Keep in mind that for best taste cider is a long process, where aging is helpful to the flavor. Some yeasts and filtered juice can produce a quite drinkable result in a month, but I question if anything 16% could be considered good in a month.

Anyhow just a couple thoughts. I know some people just want cheap and high ABV, and screw the taste. But if this is your first time fermenting I’d recommend trying a batch with non-turbo yeast, to compare and see what you might be missing, taste wise. I assume you’re using filter store bought juice? If so I can highly recommend a batch with D47 yeast, no added sugar, fermented around 70 °F. It should clear up in about a month, and be very drinkable at that point.

Latest posts

Back