Excessive Foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpk717

Reaction score
I opened the first bottle of my Irish Stouts last night had a nice pressure release sound so I thought things were OK. When I poured into a frozen mug (with mug tilted and slow pour) the foaming was unreal. I literally had no liquid and foam totally overflowed the mug. Brewed on 6/26, transferred to 2nd fermentation on 7/16, bottled on 7/31. Any ideas what's going on?

BTW, I'm new to the forum, only brewed 4 batches so far. I found this forum to be my best source of information since I live in a small town and don't know anyone to ask questions except the shop where I buy the kits.

Frozen mugs usually cause more foam. But, that much usually means one of two things. Either you used to much priming sugar or your beer has an infection.

I don't want to be critical, but I can't imagine pouring a good stout into a frozen mug! :)

Frozen mugs usually cause more foam. But, that much usually means one of two things. Either you used to much priming sugar or your beer has an infection.

I didn't have any indication of an infection during the fermentation and I'm overly careful cleaning the bottles. So if too much priming sugar is the culprit is that something that will get better over time? I did open a second bottle and poured it into a room temp mug, less foam and it tasted OK. I was hoping to hear I just needed to give it more time for the CO2 to dissolve into the beer.

Could be the priming sugar wasn't mixed enough in the batch. If you have some bottles with low carbonation later, I'd say this was your problem.

I know I'm new here, but the general consensus for issues like this is to just let it sit for a few more weeks and it should mellow out.

rpk717 said:
I opened the first bottle of my Irish Stouts last night had a nice pressure release sound so I thought things were OK. When I poured into a frozen mug (with mug tilted and slow pour) the foaming was unreal. I literally had no liquid and foam totally overflowed the mug. Brewed on 6/26, transferred to 2nd fermentation on 7/16, bottled on 7/31. Any ideas what's going on?

BTW, I'm new to the forum, only brewed 4 batches so far. I found this forum to be my best source of information since I live in a small town and don't know anyone to ask questions except the shop where I buy the kits.

How long did you let the bottles condition ? I bet the co wasn't absorbed into your stout. Let the bottles condition for at least 3 weeks then chill for at least 3 days. the longer the better.

Could be the priming sugar wasn't mixed enough in the batch. If you have some bottles with low carbonation later, I'd say this was your problem.

I think this may be my problem. I didn't think you wanted to add O2 before bottling so I didn't stir after adding the priming sugar.

How long did you refrigerated them before pouring.

I only refrigerated for a few hours before pouring, I'll put some in for several days and see if that makes a difference.

How long did you let the bottles condition ? I bet the co wasn't absorbed into your stout. Let the bottles condition for at least 3 weeks then chill for at least 3 days. the longer the better.

For about 4 weeks, I'll wait another month and try them again. Gives me a chance to build a larger supply before I start drinking my home brew. I've got about 7 cases bottled, would like to get that up over 10 cases in the bottle.

Thanks everyone for the help, this helps a lot.

Back