Everyone likes blow up pix!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arxix

Reaction score
Ok, so I got done bottling a pale ale with about an hour to spare before some guests were to arrive in town for the weekend and thought... SWMBO already killed the first apfelwein too quickly and the next batch is a few weeks out, so I should start another one now so I can start another one in a month to keep her out of my good beer supply. So I went to the store and got 5 gallons of apple juice and I saw 2 quarts of pomegranate juice which I know she likes and figured.. sure, why not!

The nottingham yeast cake (first mistake) from the pale ale was a super clean and I figured, im in a hurry and this will not get as dry as the Red Star Montrachet yeast at .999 hopefully. So I put in all together and put it in the "fermentation closet" which is the guest room closet (second mistake) just before they arrived.

The next morning I tried to go and check on it but there suit cases were pinning the door closed and I wasn't about to go pushing there stuff around just to watch little bubbles (third mistake) so I just let it be. They have a little demon child with his **** everywhere!

Well they are now headed back to NC and I went in to take a peak.... oh wonderful...

main.php

Now I just need to get this cleaned up before SWMBO gets home and has a chance to see the new paint job on the walls (we just put the house on the market). I know this is not much in the way of krausen painting, but I just had to laugh at myself. The 2 quarts of the pomegranate juice turned the apple from a wonderful gold to a solid brown color. If I had just checked on the fermentation I could have noticed that nottingham yeast is a lot more active than red star and causes krausen to shoot streams of brown goodness out the little holes on top of the air lock.

Next time.... blow off tube!

Better than next time (you use Notty).....always use a blow off for the first couple of days. No more rushing before the SWMBO gets home!

I'll pretend that is a picture I took of my Notty Apfelwein. It pushed a bunch of yeast into the airlock and coated inside the whole top of the carboy with dried yeast.

Back