Ever used agave instead of sugar???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winenewb172

Reaction score
Was just wondering if anybody had ever used agave nectar instead of sugar to make wine

Was just wondering if anybody had ever used agave nectar instead of sugar to make wine

No, but I've seen it used in mead. I've tasted the stuff, but the intesity of the flavor makes me wonder if anything can compete flavorwise. It's VERY fermentable though! Lol.

Well my reason for asking was because I got given 10lbs of it and I can literally just drink it cuz it's so good so I'm thinking of using some to make a batch of wine and since I might have a still or know a friend who does there is no such thing as wasted alcohol;)

Yes, you can use agave syrup to ferment. I made a triple berry agave wine, just substituted agave for sugar, SG was 1.090, and it was great. I think it would go well with mango, pineapple, blueberry, peach or even a low gravity apple cider. I am getting ready to make a prickly pear with 3 parts agave and 1 part mesquite honey. And I really want to roast some bananas until caramelized and use agave in that batch. Give it a go!

Sara, you didn't find the taste of the agave to overpower the other fruits? The samples I have had have been AGAVE...(plus something behind it).

Hmmmm I wonder if using it in a lime skeeter pee type of wine would be good

Hmmmm I wonder if using it in a lime skeeter pee type of wine would be good

Good question. I have a batch of key-lime wine I'm getting ready to bottle. Planning to add a bottle of triple sec syrup per a Jack Keller recipe. Wonder if amber or raw agave syrup would put some tequila notes in the background? May split the batch, and give it a try.

HBngNOK said:
Good question. I have a batch of key-lime wine I'm getting ready to bottle. Planning to add a bottle of triple sec syrup per a Jack Keller recipe. Wonder if amber or raw agave syrup would put some tequila notes in the background? May split the batch, and give it a try.

I think I'm gonna try it when I free up some Carboy space

I used a light colored agave syrup for that specific reason. Turned out well.

Makes sense. I imagine (as with everything) ratio plays a factor too. Ok, this is not my favorite taste, but I'm not opposed to giving this a try sometime in the future.

Great thread!

I much prefer it to the taste of honey so I did a batch of grape mead that calls for 10 lbs honey and I used half honey half agave as of right now honey taste is way stronger

Back