Ever tasted water sitting in Bevlex 200?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjcampbell

Reaction score
I made some carbonated water and noticed the water sitting in the Bevlex 200 is terrible. Obviously it makes me wonder about having beer sit in the beer line between pours. You may not notice it--I don't... but clearly the if the taste is getting in the water, it's getting in the beer. Is there a better quality product? Honestly... I think this should be copper or stainless steel. Does anyone do that?

You can try barrier tubing like Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra. Keep in mind that you'll need to make your lines a bit longer to compensate for the lower resistance of the PET liner, and that unless you buy John Guest fittings there's a bit of a learning curve to stretching it over a barb.

Stainless might work. You definitely don't want fermented, carbonated beer touching copper for a long period of time.

What kind of water did you use for carbonating? I have noticed that most tap water especially in a sealed container offgasses the chlorine, etc and that can cause a weird flavor. Not to mention that carbonated water is usually more of a RO water with mineral salts added for flavor.

It's carbon filtered tap water.in theory there shouldn't be chlorine in the water I think.

If i purge the water out of the line and get water from sitting in the keg, that just runs through the line, versus sitting in the line... it tastes a bit better, although I think you may have a second point there with water that goes directly into a keg and no where to off gas, versus wort where it offgases for 3+ weeks first.

Back