ever make beer without hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
I bought a liquid malt extract from my LHBS (just the syrup) and made it just like I make the coopers kinds, and well, it smells really bad (after 4 weeks in bottles too) but doesn't taste that bad...

I went back to get some more, and I asked the guy if it was pre hopped and he said no...

so... can beer taste ok without adding hops at all?

you mean... can a malt beverage taste good? I would say yes. But... can a cooper's kit (or premade extract) minus hops taste good?.. probably not.

yup, its called a sahti. personally I don't like it though, but I'm not a juniper fan.

yeah its basically just the LHBS's LME, but its not pre hopped or anything...

I made it thinking it was prehopped like the coopers kits, and now I'm wondering if I should dump it or not (after 4 weeks its unbearable to put near your nose and the taste is meh, of course I had to plug my nose to drink it though)

anything it can compare to? would you guys dump it? ( I personally could use the bottles that its occupying)

It's just fermented liquid malt? If there are no grains or hops in it, I'd dump it. It's not worth the effort.

I'm new at brewing but hops are a preservative so I'd be more hesitant in this situation than others to hope it would improve over time.

You could probably do something to add bitterness/flavor/aroma (i.e. boil some hops in water, reduce the volume of said water, dump the reduction along with some fresh hops into a carboy and dump the bottles in, wait two weeks and re-bottle {after adding some additional yeast})

uh...

yeah. Dump it.

there's a cheap ale they sell at the corner store in my neighborhood which i'm almost positive has no hops in it. i think it tastes horrible, but mostly due to the malts just tasting bad, but some of my friends liked it.

lol, i'd say dump most of it and save like 6 or something for experimental purposes (can't think of any, but why not). I only say this because it is basically nothing and is using something (bottles) that could have something good..

there's a cheap ale they sell at the corner store in my neighborhood which i'm almost positive has no hops in it. i think it tastes horrible, but mostly due to the malts just tasting bad, but some of my friends liked it.

Is it bud, coors, or miller?

pork slap?

the logo looks right but i thought that the can was purple or blue. also, it got much better reviews than i would have given it http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13302/28751

maybe i'm confusing my beers here.

anywho, my point was that you should keep the beer and drink it, but maybe hold off till you've had a few other beers. i'm sure you can find more bottles for other batches.

How about a single hop pellet in a bottle and recap for a few days? Might be worth a shot to save an entire batch for 3 bucks?

Back