Ever have a credit card number stolen???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My CC # stolen too. Second time in 5 months (both are amex cards from the same vendor). Both were my cards that I used for all online purchases.

I ordered from AHS with both cards, but I also ordered from many, many other vendors (including other homebrew vendors). But it seems likely that it's an AHS problem because of all the other feedback.

I ordered from AHS on 1/4/11 and 2/6/11. NOTHING out of the ordinary has appeared on my card.

I ordered hop rizomes from AHS last night using my debit card. I do love AHS and will continue to shop there.

Then I read this thread and said %^&*!

I just called AHS and was told not to worry. I wasn't given details but they said the issue has been taken care of. I will be keeping a close eye on my account. I will start using my credit card for online orders.

I have placed countless orders online over the years using my debit card and have never had a problem but maybe it's time to stop that.

I placed an order with AHS a couple of weeks ago. First time in over a year that I've ordered anything from them and last night, I get a call asking for verification of hundreds of dollars in charges.

Card is cancelled, and so is my account at austinhomebrew.com

I just called AHS and was told not to worry. I wasn't given details but they said the issue has been taken care of. I will be keeping a close eye on my account. I will start using my credit card for online orders.

I have placed countless orders online over the years using my debit card and have never had a problem but maybe it's time to stop that.

Seriously? If they said that, then they should be here on this site explaining where the problem was and what has been done to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Please do. You don't get the same protection with debit cards that you do with credit cards.

Take your own advise. Using a debit card for online purchases is just asking for trouble.

I placed an order with AHS a couple of weeks ago. First time in over a year that I've ordered anything from them and last night, I get a call asking for verification of hundreds of dollars in charges.

Card is cancelled, and so is my account at austinhomebrew.com

Sorry to hear that, Kyle.

I do not blame AHS. It could happen to any business that operates on the internet. The important thing is, they are addressing the issue with due diligence. Just got my order from them today, and everything was there and looks great. I will order from them again if they have something I need. I'm sure they will be incredibly secure after this incident. The safest time to fly is right after a crash.

Add me to the list, purchsed from AHS on 1/12, fraud charges are listed now on my card for 2/8.

I recently had fraudulent charges on my discover card for $3k from the Apple store. My most previous charge before that was from Northern Brewer. Sorry if this has been covered already, but it will take me awhile to get through this massive thread.

I recently had fraudulent charges on my discover card for $3k from the Apple store. My most previous charge before that was from Northern Brewer. Sorry if this has been covered already, but it will take me awhile to get through this massive thread.

Yeah, I bought from AHS, Northern Brewer, Monster Brew, etc. So I can't single out AHS here.

Last AHS order was placed on 1/16/11, no problems to report.

_

EDIT I just checked my account and it was restricted. I called Capital One and they closed it because of a charge to Amazon(carboy) and one to Equifax (credit score) both were legit and the restriction was lifted. They are a great company to deal with. Although after this thread I did almost poop my pants.

_

all i know is people that steal like this should be punched in the baby maker repeatedly until they are unable to reproduce! hahaha

i hate poeple... (mainly the ones that dont have any ethical boundaries)

My bank canceled my debit card this morning, and refunded the money while it's investigated (still not sure how a credit card would have handled that "better"?). That's part of why I like the small, local bank. They know my face, and value my business. From the looks of things, there's really not much question on the fraudulent nature of my specific charge.

It has taught me to switch to using PayPal whenever possible....

Apparently right before they canceled my card, another $1500 came through. :mad: My bank is taking care of me, but what a PIA....will be dealing with cash and a savings account for about a week waiting on new cards, opening a different account etc.

No more online debit-carding for me!

P.S. I will still support AHS in the future. This was my first or second order (I don't remember if I ordered anything from them before) on 1/21. I had a small confusion when the order arrived and they took care of the issue immediately. I will wait, however, until there's confirmation that this problem is resolved. Sorry.:eek:

I had to spend another half hour dealing with the debit card fallout from this today. Apparently Bank of America computers in California don't talk to the rest of the county. I opened my account in California when I lived there. They told me I could go to a local branch and get a temporary card but they were wrong due to the California thing. I had them call California for me and expedite the shipping of a new card for me.

I too am done using my debit card for purchases...

So the problem did come from your site/cc processor/system?

We are digging and digging and have still not found any evidence of a breech. I am having the website analyzed. We have been working on a brand new website for over a month and we are speeding up that process.

We have contacted everyone down the line and no one can find a problem.

We are working hard to eliminate as many variables as possible.

As with any charge that shouldn't be there, contact you bank or credit card company.

Forrest

There were a lot of post earlier today about this that seem to have been deleted.

What posts were deleted?

I asked ollllo to merge the three different threads into this one, and I believe he did that, but I don't think anything was intentionally deleted.

Just a word from an IT guy that used to work for a credit card processing company: Ordering online is always (at least somewhat) safer with a credit card. The repercussions of having a someone "help themselves" to your checking account are always a LOT more complicated than with credit card. Think about missed car payments, missed mortgage, etc.

I never use my check card to pay for anything, period. I'd rather go to the ATM to get cash and pay that way than rely on a vendor/seller/etc being safe.

M_C

Greeeeaaatttt...I just bought a Mead kit from Northern Brewer on Monday, now you have me paranoid that my card will get hacked through them.

For those who had their cards corrupted, did you pay directly with the website or did your payments go through PayPal?

I bought my ingredients from Northern Brewer via PayPal so I assumed it was secure:confused:

We are digging and digging and have still not found any evidence of a breech. I am having the website analyzed. We have been working on a brand new website for over a month and we are speeding up that process.

We have contacted everyone down the line and no one can find a problem.

We are working hard to eliminate as many variables as possible.

As with any charge that shouldn't be there, contact you bank or credit card company.

Forrest

Thanks for the update Forrest.

My last purchase from AHS was 1/18. On Feb 7 I had an unauthorized charge for $490.07 and two charges on Feb 9 totaling $1,408.66 for a grand total of $1,898.70! All transactions had an international transaction fee. This is the third time my credit card has been compromised so I know the routine and I don't blame the vendor. I am a little intrigued by the fact that we have a fairly large number of victims. Seems like a good opportunity to try and correlate data to try and catch these a$$holes or at least determine if it was an employee or the payment processor, if in fact the issue is related to AHS.

My test charge was from what seems to be a fictional business in Sylvester, Texas. Something called MDR which the bank said the only information included in the transaction was that it was a Motorcycle shop in Sylvester TX. This is really suspicious to me considering that everyone suspects that the breech happened from a Texas based business. Sylvester and Austin are not close at all, but its still Texas.

I'm not sure,I am at work right now but will check my records when I get home.
so far I have spent over an hour on the phone with the bank and a couple hours in my local branch dealing with this fiasco.The results so far have been my card has been dumped, my checking account is frozen and I may or may not get refunded the money taken.oh and the best part is I have checks out pending that will soon bounce.

Seems like a good opportunity to try and correlate data to try and catch these a$$holes or at least determine if it was an employee or the payment processor, if in fact the issue is related to AHS.

I started to last night - but the vast majority of people were to vague with their info.

For it to work at all, we would need specific dates of ordering and hacking.

People just haven't been giving up that info. Most have been "I ordered a few weeks ago and got hacked the other day!"

I stopped processing at 22 people; of those, only three had exact purchase dates from AHS (1/24, 1/31, and 2/5), and ten reported being hacked on 2/7, two on 2/8, and three on 2/9.

While many have pointed the common denominator to AHS; I just don't see hackers hanging onto info that long...

I'd look more toward people's on-line shopping behavior around Super Bowl weeked. But, in fact, that is just my opinion....

I bought from AHS on 1/18 (thats when it posted at least).
The fraudulent 'test' charge was charged on 2/9/11 at 12:32PM (according to the bank) for $2.90 from a Business called MDR in Sylvester TX.

The Charge didn't show up in my account until 2/10 at which point I called the bank and canceled the debt card.

i ordered from them 1-17,the fraud was on the 7th.The only 2 places I used mine online last 60 days was here for a premium membership and austin(used pay-pal for the membership here)

Just saw this thread. I ordered from AHS on 1/18 and 2/9 and have had no suspicious charges on my account. Just to be sure I am going ahead and canceling my card as I can''t afford to be out that much money temporarily.

As for the people who want to give me grief about using a debit card vs a credit card, some people can't get credit cards. Between not having any established credit and the recent market meltdown, credit card companies are a little picky about who they hand those things out to.

I made two orders from AHS this year. I had to cancel the same credit card two days ago. Someone has charged around $5K to my card in the last two days. I haven't read much of this thread(since it is 44 pages) but if AHS is the problem then I am pissed and this needs to be taken care of. I love there kits but if I have to get a new credit card every time I use them then I'll go elsewhere.

I got hit for just under $150 on my credit card, which is small potatoes compared to some. I rarely use my card and recently (jan 20) bought some supplies from Austin Homebrew. I caught the charges as soon as they posted due to this thread.

Thanks guys!

oh, the fraud was on feb 9th.

I started to last night - but the vast majority of people were to vague with their info.

For it to work at all, we would need specific dates of ordering and hacking.

People just haven't been giving up that info. Most have been "I ordered a few weeks ago and got hacked the other day!"

I stopped processing at 22 people; of those, only three had exact purchase dates from AHS (1/24, 1/31, and 2/5), and ten reported being hacked on 2/7, two on 2/8, and three on 2/9.

While many have pointed the common denominator to AHS; I just don't see hackers hanging onto info that long...

I'd look more toward people's on-line shopping behavior around Super Bowl weeked. But, in fact, that is just my opinion....
I'm just throwing this out there as a theoretical possibility to explain what you are trying to correlate ... It could be that hackers got a data file from the credit card processor, the web server or a backup set on a specific day/time and sold that data as a one-time deal. Thus the varying dates that people used their cards, but a common set of dates where they were compromised (2/7, 2/8, 2/9).

I can tell you that my own e-commerce system holds card data for 30 days, so if someone stole my DB, they could potentially have 30 days worth of customer cards (except that mine are encrypted and they would need to know the key and algorithm to decrypt the stored data).

To AHS - thanks for the continued updates. As a merchant myself, I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating it must be to be working through this and not be able to find any evidence of a breach. Whether it is internal or external really doesn't matter as long as you are at least able to answer why/how this is happening.

I too ordered from AHS and got a call yesterday about a fraudulent charge. They bought some tickets from a travel agency. Not sure how smart that is.

A buddy of mine who ordered from AHS a week ago also had a fraudulent charge.

I hope AHS is doing something to secure their website in the future.

It amazes me that they purchase stuff they have to show up for to use, like tickets??? Guess these are dumb ones huh? Hope they get busted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back