Ever drop a hop pellet into your beer glass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
Did you ever drop a hop pellet into your glass of beer? I do it regularly and the effect is dramatic! The pellet fizzes like a fizzie (remember fizzies?) Within two minutes the hop aroma is quite evident. Then the pellet rises and falls and rises and falls again and each sip has a greater and greater hop aroma and taste! The head and lacing in the beer is increased substantially too. When my beer is finished, I like to pour another over the same pellet and leftover foam. The second beer is even more greatly enhanced by the one single pellet! My favorite hop pellet to do this with is Cascade. This technique has more effect that us hopheads love than any dry hopping I have done. Try it and taste.

I am so trying this tonight lol. I tried eating one once. BAD BAD IDEA. I couldnt taste anything for about a day. I am doing this with a Yingling and a Fuggle pellet tonight. Edit, I forgot I have homebrew cold. So doing this with my North English Brown and a fuggle to style match.

I typically add any extra hops to my pint glass later in the brew day. Makes a big difference and can really spruce up a mediocre beer.

When a friend told me recently that he'd pulled a cone from one of his Cascade plants to see if they were ready to harvest, I suggested that he drop it in a pint next time instead of throwing it out. He said it was going to be a High Life night and planned to give it a try. I haven't heard how it turned out, but I can't imagine High Life with a fresh Cascade cone would be bad.

I typically add any extra hops to my pint glass later in the brew day. Makes a big difference and can really spruce up a mediocre beer.

When a friend told me recently that he'd pulled a cone from one of his Cascade plants to see if they were ready to harvest, I suggested that he drop it in a pint next time instead of throwing it out. He said it was going to be a High Life night and planned to give it a try. I haven't heard how it turned out, but I can't imagine High Life with a fresh Cascade cone would be bad.

"The Champagne of Beer" can only get better when you actually put hops into it.

every now and then I eat a hop pellet while brewing. I love it. However, I can understand if people would think that this is too intense. :mug:

So I just did this and the taste is great. I imagine it would be really really good if I could taste more but with this cold I cant taste much. Its fizzing in the bottom of the glass like a smoke bomb or something.

I'm going to start putting a baggie of hop pellets in my pocket when we have to go out to places that only sell crappy beer.

hmmm..... a small bag of green plant material being taken out in a beer place...

That could be mistaken for something else rather quickly!!

Headlines the next day...

"Man mistakenly arrested for narcotics possession. Quote " I was only trying to enhance the flavor of my beer!!", while speaking through a bloody lip." :)

I dropped a cone in a shot of vodka and then stuck it in the fridge for a few days. I thought it would be pretty tasty but it turned out nasty.

I just brewed a pale ale today and I'm not planning on dryhopping. Now I'll be able to know what it would taste like dry hopped by using this method, so I know if I need to dry hop next time (I assume I should dry hop).

I've done this a couple times & it seems to work better than a whole hop. I suspect that's because the process ruptures most of the cell walls. Plus whole hops just sit there.

Ha, I've got to try this. My brew partner and I were just talking about ways to bring extreme dry hopping to the consumer. One idea was a hop widget. Instead of releasing nitro, it releases a hop pellet or two.

I too did this last night. I used a tea bag to hold the left over hop pellets from a Scottish ale with some Ed Worts House Pale Ale, tasted pretty darn good. Also had it with a Fat Tire clone and that worked out well to. The friend that came over just shook his head at me....

Jay8s

AND the hop shortage deepens! LOL I am trying this today with some Cascade

I tried this a while back with a brown ale and some fuggles....I used maybe 5 pellets though. It deffinatly worked but I think just 1 would be better. Also, I think crushing up the pellet first might make it work a little....better.

This is a good idea though...maybe instead of dryhopping I'll stick an oz of whatever hops into the kegger and just hop each pint I pull...

My favorite belgian beer bar at home used to have one night of the week where you could use a little wire mesh ball with some whole leaf hops in it. I never tried it though. Sounds delicious.

This is the same idea as using a Randall. Except that you're using a pellet and it stays in the beer. But I like it!

doesn't work so good in the apfelwein. j/k
I'm sure I will get around to trying this, it sounds fun.

my brown bitter isn't tasting so good. can't seem to find the recipe right now, but i think i used too much brown malt and fermented to high. it's got a harsh malty/fruity bite and an unpleasant malt aroma.

so i decided to see what kind of whole hops i had. i found some willamette and used a tea ball to try it out in a glass:

tea%20ball%20fox%20run.jpg

it keeps the hops contained and sinks straight to the bottom to keep them out of the way.

it tastes MUCH better. i now have an ounce of willamette in the last 2 gallons of bitter :D

next time i make this iipa i might try throwing a cascade pellet into about a dozen of the bottles and see how they age with it, this was definitely worth it

Okay, I finally did this today...a willamette pellet in my bee cave IPA (amarillo and centennial) which probably isn't a match made in heaven...and that sh*t was friggin gross! This beer is already dry hopped with centennial but then I had to let it age so I figured I'd see what happened if I freshened it up. I don't think I'd do this again even if I had more centennial on hand. I just didn't like the hop particles getting stuck in my throat.

Latest posts

Back