Quantcast

Ever brew rip roaring drunk?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
I sure hope I remembered to sanitize the jug. Asked my brew buddy and he doesnt remember either.

Varmintman

Reaction score
Oh yes I have. I got a batch in bottles right now I do not remember putting priming sugar in

OP
CreamyGoodness

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
I'm going to just RDWHAHB on this one. God knows what other mistakes I most likely made.

Jayhem

Reaction score
I don't get drunk anymore because now that I'm over 30 it always results in a hangover. If I do accidentally drink too much it is always during a social gathering around a bonfire, never while brewing as I don't have enough time to drink enough beer while brewing to become intoxicated.

Check lists help if you brew while drinking!

Reaction score
It's only happened once, but I remember about 5 or 6 batches ago I was drinking pretty heavily during the brewing. I don't remember much after flame out. Woke up the next morning paranoid as he'll that I'd done something wrong. Specifically, I kept thinking that I'd poured the wort into the fermenter and pitched the yeast while it was still up near boiling temps.

MoeIPA

Reaction score
decided to brew a stout at 10:00 pm after hitting the LHBS and hitting a couple craft beer bars on the way home.. Added 9# of dark LME instead of 6.5#.. So we will see how this one tastes

rhoop

Reaction score
Once... We didn't take any readings, no idea how long we chilled it, and we couldn't find the yeast the next morning so we had to assume we pitched it. It turns out we did. I do remember coming into the house and our wives making us play dance party on the wii while they laughed at us.

WesleyS

Banned
Reaction score
Nope, never have. Too many things that can go wrong. I'm not judging anyone who has though. I also have a feeling there's a direct relation between drinking while brewing and broken carboys and hydrometers. ;)

kpr121

Reaction score
My best IPA to date was made when me and my buddy were rip-roaring drunk by the time the boil started. We decided to ignore the recipe and just added mixtures of hops continuously throughout the boil. I haven’t been able to replicate it since. I’m actually a little afraid/curious of how many oz of hops we ended up throwing into that one because I did remember going into the freezer.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Once or twice while a bit "stumbly". Never works out as well as when sober, so nowadays I usually have one or maybe two while brewing. Things get done better and on time.

CoalCracker

Reaction score
If i'm brewing alone, I'll have a few as there aren't as many distractions. If I'm brewing with my brew partner, I'll have a few but it takes more concentration to brew. This weekend I'm having a few friends over and we are doing a large brew. Thinking I might stay dry during the brew and wait until clean up to start imbibing. Too many things going on to cause distractions. Especially with a new system.

OP
CreamyGoodness

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Whole bunch of things I dont think I did properly... sigh... but I have a jug of beer bubbling merrily away... live and learn.

Tex

Reaction score
Reminds me of the drinking with darren video on YouTube when he brews a batch while doing commercial beer reviews. By the end he is completely slammered, definitely an entertaining video.

Paramecium

Reaction score
First all grain brew day we got trashed making BM's Centennial blonde. No clue what we may have skipped or screwed up.

Norie_

Reaction score
Reminds me of the drinking with darren video on YouTube when he brews a batch while doing commercial beer reviews. By the end he is completely slammered, definitely an entertaining video.
What is this video? I want to see

hoppymonkey

Reaction score
I once threw a huge BBQ/Brew day at my house. I was buzzed by 11:30 AM and I forgot to mention all my guests that the smooth Vienna Ale they were drinking was over 8%. I imagine I got a ton of guys in trouble later that night. I remembered to keep an eye on everything, but totally forgot about it after I turned the burner off. I left it sitting in the driveway for 4 or 5 hours before I remembered and even then I just stuck a lid on it. The next morning I pitched the yeast and it turned into a wonderful IPA later. Wouldn't reccomend it to anyone. I had to turn the grill over to somone else because I was too sloshed to flip burgers.