Even New Dads Can Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I also had a brew day when my first was probably less than a month old. Myself and my buddies hung out in the garage brewing, while my wife and their wives ogled the baby ;-)

Of course, when all you have is a 1 month old, brewing is easy. When you have a 7, 5, and 2 year old, that's when it gets hard ;-)

True story. I had no idea how easy we had it with just the one kid. Now with a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old, every meal is a disaster and sleep is intermittent. Beer makes some nights bearable (like tonight).

hey congrats man, I've got a 9 month old and finding time to brew is pretty freaking impossible. I was Finally able to brew on my birthday because I took the day off from work and he went to daycare. I back-to-backed a blonde and a white IPA and enjoyed some quality day-drinking. Don't worry my wife picked him up from daycare.

Nice! I also had a brew day when my first was probably less than a month old. Myself and my buddies hung out in the garage brewing, while my wife and their wives ogled the baby ;-)

Of course, when all you have is a 1 month old, brewing is easy. When you have a 7, 5, and 2 year old, that's when it gets hard ;-)

True story. I had no idea how easy we had it with just the one kid. Now with a 2.5 year old and a 7 month old, every meal is a disaster and sleep is intermittent. Beer makes some nights bearable (like tonight).
What I found best is look at the calendar and pick a day and stick with it. If I go with the "I'll brew when I have time" method, well, there's never free time.

My wife will plan on taking the kids to the in-laws or set up a play date so I don't feel like I'm ignoring them. It is even easier to stick with the scheduled time if you can plan to brew with someone else.

I definitely don't brew as frequently anymore, but with a little planning, I can still keep most of my bottles full.

It gets easier when they get beyond 10 years old. Then they can help dad with brewday!

Your wife let you brew with a 1 month old AND it was Mother's Day!

Boy, you are going to be in TROUBLE at some point down the road, I guarantee it!

Agreed.... she has a TRUMP card that she will possess until she decides to use it. It may be 20 yrs from now, but one day she will come at ya with..
"Remember that Mother's Day when you brewed and I sat inside with a 4 wk old...."
:tank:

Congrats on the the little one!
I've definitely had less time to brew since I became a dad (I currently have a one year old daughter), but I agree with mdbrewer1-it's easier when you pick a day and commit to it. That way, it's easier for everyone in the family to plan around it. I've been fortunate (in some ways) that I've been working overnights recently and using my "free" nights to brew while everyone is asleep, but the missus entirely supports my need for a hobby. Looks like you found a good one too. Best of luck!

Yeah, the nice part is she likes when I brew because it keeps me tethered to the house. Otherwise I'd be out in the garage or working in the field. My son and her came and sat with me for awhile during the last brew.

Agreed. My wife likes that I have a hobby that I enjoy as much as I do.
Best part is my 6 yr old daughter comes out on brewday and helps measure grains and hops and hoses everything off after cleanup.
Bottling days are smooth when the whole family pitches in and we finish 6 gallons in under an hour.

Back