Evaporation Rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebagodonuts

Reaction score
I just brewed a batch with my new burner and new kettle last night.
It was my first time using both of them.
I completely underestimated my evaporation rate. I was expecting around 1 gallon per hour - it turned out to be 1.75 gallons per hour.
(It wasn't a crazy boil either - I kept it as close to 212 as possible).
Anyway - I now have 3.5 gallons of beer instead of 5 - and the OG is 1.057 instead of 1.046.
I'm curious - I know I'll find out when I try it in a few weeks - but besides a higher alcohol content - will this have a significant impact on flavor?

Just add make-up water to reach 5 gallons. This will give you an OG of 1.040. (Where did you get the 1.046 figure from? What's the recipe?)

Or, you can add water to reach 4.3 gallons, and a 1.046 OG.

BTW, a thermometer will always read 212 in boiling water, no matter how vigorous the boil.

Interesting note about the thermometer - I hadn't heard that before.

I got the 1.046 from Brew Target.

Thanks for the advice. I won't add water now as it's already fermenting, but next time I can do that.

You can also adjust your evaporation rate in brew target as well. I just finished a batch a few weeks ago and had similar results. Here in the summer I lose almost 2 gallons an hour between evaporation and hop bag and hop adsorption. I made the correction and saw better results today.

Back