Evaluate My Latest Screwups

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raceskier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Bad Brewing Techniques thread prompted me to ask this.

I've made 4 batches of beer now and had enough success that I guess I was getting cocky.

Mistake #1: On my last batch everything went perfect. I had racked the cooled wort to the fermenter, oxygenated and pitched a big starter, installed the blowoff and put it away to happily ferment. During the cleanup, I was going through my recipe (extract ESB) one last time when I realized I forgot the Whirfloc for the last 15 minutes of boil. Any fixes? I was thinking of dissolving the Whirfloc in water, boiling it and adding to the fermenter. Or is it too late for that?

Mistake #2: I had transferred my Wee Heavy to a secondary after 2 weeks in the primary at around 65F. FG was right in the correct range. I put the secondary into my Sanyo soon-to-be-kegerator to cold condition for a few weeks at 50F. I have not done the door mod, so the Better Bottle was a tight fit. I went away for the weekend and upon returning home found the door open with a nice iceberg growing on the back wall of the Sanyo. It was quite warm in LA this weekend, so the fermenter probably hit 70-75F. Maybe higher. Any possible problems or was this just an inadvertant diacetyl rest?

I know, I know, RDWHAHB.

1. Whirfloc has to be boiled. If you need to clarify after two weeks in the clearing tank, use finings. An extract ESB shouldn't be a problem.

2. The fermentation was complete before this happened, so you're good to go.

[Shades of 1982! I was running the A/C in Fullerton in January and had to turn the furnace on in June]

Back