EVA + DuoTight + ... Picnic Tap?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
AHHHHH. ok. i thought you were tapping threads on the barb stem itself, which seemed freeakin crazy. so you just tapped into the lower body of the tap, was there any issue with that at all? is the plastic thin like up towards the top?
Nope, in my original post I said I cut the barb off. Correct, I just threaded the body of the tap. The plastic is a little thin at the end where the barb was, but no issues so far and I've been using them on and off for the last 2-3 years. I used a hand drill, so just be careful you are drilling a straight hole and you should be fine.

They’re all the same design. You just have to get the size right so they fit over the tubing sleeve. If I recall correctly they’re sized nominally to match the od of your tubing, i.e. a 1/4 connector uses 1/4 clip, even tho the clip is probably more like 5/16 or 3/8.

The John Guest clips come with a nice picture showing you how to make a connection properly...

IMG_6647.jpeg

I avoid Duotight like the plague. They leak like crazy. I just got my new Komos V2 kegerator about a month ago. The unit had the EVA barrier and Duotight connectors. I also bought additional Duotight connectors. I have lost two complete CO2 canisters and I keep having to replace and reconnect the connectors. I am seriously contemplating switching out the whole system.

I read through the whole thread hoping that you would have explained exactly where you're finding leaks. Having used EVA/DUO on all my kegerators (a 7 keg keezer and a 4 tap tower unit) on both gas and liquid, and never having an issue, I'd love to know what your problem is. I have also installed a 16 keg system in a commercial brewery with EVA/DUO where there are at least 30 tube to DUOTIGHT connections not leaking... Lastly, I've sold 5000 feet of EVA and about 2500 duotight fittings and have heard only a handful of issues. Actually all of the issues are related to overtightening the duotight fittings on an MFL.

So, I am the only guy in the world that has nothing but bad luck with them? Close to 40% failure rate?
Going to go with yes, or you are one of a very few. You can crack the threaded fittings if you horse on them too much. But, I have a whole addition/buildout in my house done with Sharkbites (the same thing really) and all of that is behind finished walls. No issues whatsoever.

My kegerator is currently running 50 PSI on the primary line (also Duotight) and then a triple secondary regulator with inline backlflow preventers. Lots and lots of opportunities to leak if they are going to - and they do not.

I see a potential issue but hopefully they saw it and the mold accounts for it: there's an obvious stress-riser in the design.
It will be interesting to see if that stub is subject to separation if someone grabs the faucet and the attached line snags on something...

1625272400122.png

Cheers!

I see a potential issue but hopefully they saw it and the mold accounts for it: there's an obvious stress-riser in the design.
It will be interesting to see if that stub is subject to separation if someone grabs the faucet and the attached line snags on something...
A buddy bought a couple of these, and so far they have held up. I did not get the impression looking at them that they were any less durable than the one with the barbed shank. I do see your concern however, a barb doesn't have the added leverage of the fitting on it.

I bought a couple of these for my portable setup:
1625316293719.png
DuoTight Draft Beer Gun - $14.99 @ Williams

Another friend bought one of these and had horrible foaming issues. Turned out the innards were gummed up with something. We took it apart, gave it a good soak, and no more issues. I did not have that problem but it's something to note. Not sure if he had a demo unit or what.

So far, so good, but I did have a moron trying to "shoot people" with it. He got an Uber ride home for his efforts.

Back