Etrog (Citron) IPA recipe help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rginsburg

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

With the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, a ritual involving a fruit called an Etrog or Citron is performed throughout the week. After, many of these fruits are thrown away but I am in the process of collected them from my friends and wanted to incorporate them into my next brew. My idea for this beer is a a light/neutral IPA that lets the Etrog's shine along with a nice dose of citrusy hops. Here's what I have so far, any suggestions welcome!

9 lbs Pale Malt, 2 Row
1.5 lbs Caramunich
1 lb. Crystal20 Malt
.5 lbs Honey Malt

Hops, Boil for:

Citra, 1oz.@ 25 and 5 min

Montueka,1oz. @ 20 min

Nelson Sauvin, 1oz. @ 10 min

Galaxy, 1oz. @ 10 min

Dry Hops: 1 oz. Citra for 7 days

Thoughts on yeast as well? I was looking at a simple s-04

Rafi

Rafi,

I was also thinking about doing this. I have a great recipe for a tropical IPA (a tweaked blend of two great recipes from others in my homebrew club). I think the recipe uses a bunch of New Zealand hops, and gigayeast, which is really key to the tropical/floral/fruity quality of the beer.

To really make things sukkot-like, I grabbed an extra lulav to throw in the mash (probably more symbolically than for any taste). Alternately I could use it to stir the mash, but the myrtle leaves have a pretty strong aroma that might be an interesting add-in. If I really want to try to get any myrtle flavor or aroma I'll probably toss it in at flame-out rather than mash and boil them.

How are you planning on using the etrog? Zest? Juice? Added in when?

I've been brewing for years, but prefer to stick to (and attempt to perfect) more standard styles rather than "kitchen sink" recipes, so I haven't brewed with fruit in three or four years.

I'd ask my rabbi for guidance on this, but he only does extract brewing.

Happy simchas torah,
michael

that is far too much crystal/cara malts for any IPA. Its generally reccomended to stay under 5%, if including any at all. I personally like to omit them. Honey malt is also a very potent specialty malt. I usually use no more than 6oz, and thats without any crystal. The hops wont be able to come through very well with all the sweet malts. And when you combine all the sweetness from that with the sweet flavors from teh fruit, its not going to be all that drinkable...

Hey, thanks for the help. I've tweaked the recipe, and here's what I'm looking to brew. Thoughts?

10 lbs Pale Malt, 2 Row

1.5 lbs Carapils

1 lb. Crystal 15L

.5 lbs Honey Malt

4 oz. Citra @ 25min, 10min, 5min, 7 days dry hop

1 oz. Montueka @ 20min

1 oz. Galaxy @ 10min

As for the Etrog (Citron), I got a guide of how to do it from a brewery in Israel. I'm looking for this recipe to be a relatively pale base with hops to complement the citrus of the etrog.

Wyeast 1056

Strictly speaking, the etrogs we used at Sukkot are not to be eaten or used in whatever utilitarian way after the end of the holidays. Which of course doesn't mean that any other fruit of the same kind cannot. But man it's a great idea, pity I have no access to enough etrogs in the place where I live.

I just got done brewing this (10gal batch). It's a recipe I've done before and came out nice without the zest: a nice floral, fruity IPA:

17# 2Row
2# Munich Malt
.5# Victory Malt
.5# White Wheat Malt

.5oz Warrior @ 45 min
.5oz Warrior @ 20 min
2oz Galaxy @ 5 min
1oz Citra @ 5 min
1oz Nelson Sauvin @ 5 min

Etrog Zest x3 @ 1 min

2oz Galaxy @ whirlpool
1oz Nelson Sauvin @ whirlpool

WLP 051 yeast

3oz Citra @ dry hop x 7 days

I zested three etrogim about a week ago and soaked the zest in about a half ounce of vodka in the fridge.

Because I didn't really want much (if any) flavor or aroma from the lulav, I just tossed some willow and myrtle in the mash tun when I was batch sparging.

And, of course, I couldn't forget the palm: that was my (symbolic) mash paddle.

I'll be dry hopping in about 10 days. Can't wait to keg, carb and taste.

L'Chaim!

I do know a Presbyterian who hordes limes for the coming apocalypse. Would those work?

I just got done brewing this (10gal batch). It's a recipe I've done before and came out nice without the zest: a nice floral, fruity IPA:

17# 2Row
2# Munich Malt
.5# Victory Malt
.5# White Wheat Malt

.5oz Warrior @ 45 min
.5oz Warrior @ 20 min
2oz Galaxy @ 5 min
1oz Citra @ 5 min
1oz Nelson Sauvin @ 5 min

Etrog Zest x3 @ 1 min

2oz Galaxy @ whirlpool
1oz Nelson Sauvin @ whirlpool

WLP 051 yeast

3oz Citra @ dry hop x 7 days

I zested three etrogim about a week ago and soaked the zest in about a half ounce of vodka in the fridge.

Because I didn't really want much (if any) flavor or aroma from the lulav, I just tossed some willow and myrtle in the mash tun when I was batch sparging.

And, of course, I couldn't forget the palm: that was my (symbolic) mash paddle.

I'll be dry hopping in about 10 days. Can't wait to keg, carb and taste.

L'Chaim!

Might taste good but just wouldn't cut it for authenticity.

As noted in my recipe above, I did a 10gal batch. Kegged the beer after about ten days of dry hopping. Force carbed the kegs and started drinking a few days later. Got lots of foam and day by day the taste got more bitter and you could taste the alcohol more and more with each day. Some of the guys in my club thougt it might be the etrog or something but I think it was pretty clear it was an infection. Swapped out the kegs and the second keg tastes great. Slight citrusy aroma and taste. Great ipa.

But now I have about 3 or 4 gallons of infected beer. Other than dumping, any ideas what I can do with it? It's not sour but it's its drinkable. Can't blend it as it will overpower anything. I have a feeling it'll be drain cleaner soon.

I wouldn't dump it. A few years ago I accidentally stole $12,000 from a blind priest and did 15 months in lockup. The recipe you describe is "pruno" and if memory serves its useful as a wintertime hand salve

An etrog wine sounds better than an IPA... Immediately after Succot or even in the middle the people who sell etrogim must be left with dozens if not hundreds that no one has bought..
a wine would use more of the fruit than the zest and be a great wine for the following Succot.. Perhaps an etrog mead...
And using the unused etrogim would solve GQT's problem...

Back