Estimated ABV for sugar measurement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sebass

Reaction score
Hello guys. I don't have hydrometer yet so i have no initial OG reading. I've ordered one but obviously for this brew i won't get initial reading.

I'm not looking for specific number but ball park, what would be estimated alcohol content of Best choice apple juice with added 1 1/4 lbs of white sugar to 1 gallon car boy be (ABV)?

I've used redstar premier blanc, yellow label yeast. Not sure if that matters or not. I've also used 5g for 2.5G of brew, so 2g of yeast per gallon.

From what i've read it's strong yeast. It says wine yeast on it but i've read it's really Champaign yeast that's relabeled. Time for fermentation will be 2 week, or more if it needs more.

I may keep this as wine. I didn't decided yet. It will depend on the taste and dryness or sweetness of it.

I prefer sweeter brews but i can't drink too much of them and I want to be able to drink more then less obviously. I'm not a fan of dry but maybe i can get use to it. I dunno. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hello guys. I don't have hydrometer yet so i have no initial OG reading. I've ordered one but obviously for this brew i won't get initial reading.

I'm not looking for specific number but ball park, what would be estimated alcohol content of Best choice apple juice with added 1 1/4 lbs of white sugar to 1 gallon bottle be (ABV)?

I've used redstar premier blanc, yellow label yeast. Not sure if that matters or not. I've also used 5g for 2.5G of brew, so 2g of yeast per gallon.

From what i've read it's strong yeast. It says wine yeast on it but i've read it's really Champaign yeast that's relabeled. Time for fermentation will be 2 week, or more if it needs more.

I may keep this as wine. I didn't decided yet. It will depend on the taste and dryness or sweetness of it.

I prefer sweeter brews but i can't drink too much of them and I want to be able to drink more then less obviously. I'm not a fan of dry but maybe i can get use to it. I dunno. Thank you in advance.
You might want to post this in the cider forum to get a more definitive answer.

Quick and dirty-you have a bit over 2 lbs of fermentables (assuming unsweetened apple juice) which would give you an OG of 1.090-ish. If your yeast attenuation is 75% the FG would be 1.030-ish, giving you an ABV of 8-ish. I’m thinking that would be on the sweet side.

12%+ i'm sure with apple juice and table sugar you'll get it dry.

brewer's friend is a website toolkit for calculating things like this if it helps.

i just know enough about cider, that it's all simple sugars and will ferment dry. and with wine yeast that can handle 1.090...it'll go to 12% or so. according to beersmith.

Thank you very much. I would be very happy with 12% or slightly more. Thing is i see ppl putting 2lbs plus and i only did 1.25lbs so question is if it's enough?

I know if there is not enough sugar abv will be low.

i find cheap store bought juiice is usually about 1.045 or so. and a 1.25lb's sucrose in 1 gallon would be like an additional, 1.058...so actually that would be 1.058 more, for 1.113, or 15%...your wine yeast can handle that though i believe...

for the record, i buy 10 gallons apple juice, and add 4 lb's sugar and get 9%..

i find cheap store bought juiice is usually about 1.045 or so. and a 1.25lb's sucrose in 1 gallon would be like an additional, 1.058...so actually that would be 1.058 more, for 1.113, or 15%...your wine yeast can handle that though i believe...

for the record, i buy 10 gallons apple juice, and add 4 lb's sugar and get 9%..

Yes sir. That's strongest yeast there is, to the best of my knowledge. Up to 18% and maybe even can do 20%.

My apologies. I meant 1.25 cups of sugar which is 0.65 lbs of sugar per 1 gallon car boy. I keep reading in lbs here so therefore i thought that.

It's actually cups which is closer to what you've been using. Your's is 0.76 cups per gallon. So i think i should expect 8%?

I can more sugar now to bump it up 12% plus?

I'm making cider but i know alcohol messes up the taste so maybe i shouldn't do 12% or more. You're the expert. I'll just go by what you say.

I've read the recipe of 2 lbs of sugar for 3 gallons of juice which then i calculated 1.25 cups per gallon car boy.

You're the expert.

i didn't even notice you're new! lol, stick around, it's a fun show, and i'm the clown!

but according to USDA 1.25 cups granulated sugar is 250 grams, or about 9 oz's...so beersmith tells me, about a OG of 1.068, which would be about 9%

and my personal taste i wouldn't add more sugar if you plan on bottling and carbonating..unless you like champagne? i find to much alcohol and carbonation is unpleasant. but if you just want something like wine, i guess another cup would get you 13%? at least according to my loose estimate from beersmith.....

Thank you sir. That helps a lot. I'll leave it as is. Yes i will be going for carbonation and back sweetening it with frozen cherry apple juice concentrate.

It's Old Orchard Apple Cherry 12 oz, so half, 6oz per 2.5G of juice? Roughly? I was also thinking of maybe using frozen strawberries. I dunno.

Should i rack it once and leave it as is?

Again thank you for help. Much appreciate it.

you know man you're over my head! i've always keged and force carbed! i think think this right person to tag for this @bernardsmith would have your answers....

Sorry for noob questions. I just don't want to mess up my first batch. It's too much liquid to waste. Thank you and have a great weekend.

Sorry for noob questions. I just don't want to mess up my first batch.

that's not a noob question! i just skipped grade school! if anything if it's your first batch i'd say when it's done fermenting just put the jug in the fridge and get it cold, and pour a few glasses....

that's not a noob question! i just skipped grade school! if anything if it's your first batch i'd say when it's done fermenting just put the jug in the fridge and get it cold, and pour a few glasses....

Cool. I'll try that first. I have 2x 1 gallon car boy and 1x 1.75L bottle, which is 1/2 gallon so that one will go in fridge for taste.

Cool. I'll try that first. I have 2x 1 gallon car boy and 1x 1.75L bottle, which is 1/2 gallon so that one will go in fridge for taste.

i find 8-9% alcohol is a good substitute for carbonation, but more is bad with it.....personal taste.

I put a couple tablespoons of the apple / cherry concentrate in the glass before drinking to backsweeten. It's not carbonated that way, but you can make it as sweet as you want.

I put a couple tablespoons of the apple / cherry concentrate in the glass before drinking to backsweeten. It's not carbonated that way, but you can make it as sweet as you want.

Cool. Thank you. That's a good way to taste new taste before going with the whole thing.

Back