ester formation in wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duren

Reaction score
I have encountered contrary advice ranging from “Fermentation should take place at the higher end of the allowable temperature spectrum to encourage the formation of esters” to “Fermentation of white wines should not exceed 60 degrees F, and as a plus, a lower temperature is desirable because it increases the production of esters.”

Any knowledgeable persons out there got any advice for a novice??

The wine I am going to make is Peasant Mountain Chablis (rhubarb and white grape concentrate) and was planning on using Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast.

Would very much appreciate any pointers on the subject.

Thats the "art" of wine making. Some vintners swear by low temps, some swear by higher temps. The yeast is going to do what it does as long as the temperature is in its life range. By-products are the variable that separate the wines.

Only years of practice will tell you which way makes YOUR wine taste best.

I suggest starting in the center of the temp range and see if it is good. Next batch raise or lower and repeat until you are satisfied.

Sorry that this isn't a definitive answer, but there are none in this hobby (except to keep detailed notes).

I like to ferment white as cool as possible, 66 degrees seems to be as low as I can get with out stalling fermentation. Fruit wine and meads I stay at 72. Reds I start at 75 and cool down to 70 after a week. I go to 68 after I move to secondary with reds. I do all the above for taste I like and have come to these over time.

Back