ESB fermented with something other than the Fuller's strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
I'm interested in expanding my yeast horizons for the ESB style of ale, and instead of using WY1968 or WLP002 (or others of their Fuller's derived ilk), I've sort of narrowed it down to WY1318, WY1469, or WLP037 for my next go at this style. Which of these would you choose (or would you recommend something else)?

I’ve used 1318 for an ESB and loved it.
No experience with the others.

The ESB, I pitched at 64*F and crept the temp up 1*F per day until 74*F.
There was lots of yeast fruity character and the roastiness of the 60L was really brought out front.

I’ve since brewed a golden ale pitched at 64*F an kept there for 10 days. Really, really clean ferment.

I've made ESBs with all of those, but my favourites were easily the ones made with a Vermont/Conan strain.

One strain I like to work with on my ESB is WLP009 when you can get your hands on it. Fermented cool it gives a very nice bready component to the ESB. One of my overall favorites for the style.

One strain I like to work with on my ESB is WLP009 when you can get your hands on it. Fermented cool it gives a very nice bready component to the ESB. One of my overall favorites for the style.

Bready is definitely something I enjoy, but I checked online with the three LHBS places closest to me and none of them have it.

I'm still waiting for Lallemand (Danstar) to release their "LalBrew New England" dry yeast in 11 gram packages for retail. Currently it is only available in commercial 500 gram packages. It looks like it might be a dry version of the Vermont/Conan strain. I wonder if any micro-breweries are using it?

Are any LHBS stores repackaging this commercial yeast in 11 gram packs and selling them retail?

I just received an update from Lallemand with regard to their "LalBrew New England" yeast. In roughly two weeks time we should expect an announcement from Lallemand with regard to the release date for the 11 gram retail packages.

I prefer 1469; the 1968 was just too fruity.
But I do give a good stir day 5 with the 1469, after seeing exotherm, and jsut as I set ramping 8° in 24h, typically from 64F starting ferm temp.

What about WLP041, which is in stock at one of my LHBS's.

A popular ale yeast from the Pacific Northwest. The yeast will clear from the beer well, and leave a malty profile. More fruity than WLP002 English Ale Yeast. A good yeast for English style ales including milds, bitters, IPA, porters and English style stouts. Attenuation: 65-70%. Flocculation: High. Optimum ferment temp is 65-68 F. Alcohol tolerance medium.

WY1332 might also be this strain.

I'm interested in expanding my yeast horizons for the ESB style of ale

ESB is not a style of beer. Everyone in the UK knows that, and even the BJCP has finally recognised that. And even their replacement category, 11C Strong Bitters, is a bit of a ragbag even by British beer standards. But that's because it's not a style, it's more an expression of terroir and house taste. So Fuller's ESB is just a souped up London Pride, partigyled with it, whereas the northern strongs tend to be very different. So first decide what kind of thing you're going for - or how you want to express your terroir and house style.

instead of using WY1968 or WLP002 (or others of their Fuller's derived ilk)

There's some debate about that link to Fuller's - all we can say for certain is that 1968 is more closely related to Conan than anything else, but Conan coming from Fuller's originally is not incompatible with the Conan origin story. Maybe all that time at White Labs and Wyeast has changed them, but 002 and 1968 certainly don't have the marmalade that you associate with Fuller's, whereas eg Imperial A09 Pub is said to be much closer to actual Fuller's in taste. If you want to be sure, harvest yeast from a bottle of 1845.

And if you want to do a version of the Fuller's ESB, see this thread (in particular post #42) - but don't think of that recipe as "typical" (qv how Zum Uerig isn't at all representative of altbiers, even though it's the one everyone's heard of).

I've sort of narrowed it down to WY1318, WY1469, or WLP037 for my next go at this style. Which of these would you choose (or would you recommend something else)?

It's worth noting that WLP009 and WLP037 are Vault strains that seldom get released as a seasonal. I've still got some WLP037 in my fridge but haven't used it yet; in general HBTers have struggled to contain the phenolics of WLP037 (it's a member of the saison family) but it seems that they can be contained to good effect if you rouse it in a fashion similar to a square. So it's not a straightforward one, and probably best suited to a more northern take.

I've made a beer with WLP009 and it's quite nice, but possibly a bit clean for British styles, even by Wyeast/White Lab standards. In general they just seem to lack the real character you get from proper British strains, whether it's something in the way they bank them I don't know. But I get that it's what you're left with if you don't have ready access to eg cask or bottle dregs, or some of the dark recesses of the Brewlab catalogue.

I'd also throw in a word for blends - can be a great way to get more character or brewing performance out of dry yeast in particular, eg Windsor followed by Nottingham after high krausen, or S-04 with 10-20% T-58.

I don't really make strong bitters myself but if I was confined to the White Labs list I'd probably start with WLP041 - not the most showy of yeasts but just has that easy drinkability that all British beers should have. (heh - I wrote that before you mentioned it, but give it a go) Although not everyone gets on with it, WLP540 is an interesting candidate for a house yeast if you regularly do beers that take advantage of its high ABV tolerance.

On the Conans, the general thought is that the Yeast Bay version WLP4000 is rather more interesting than WLP095. I see you've found the dry NEIPA yeast thread, you'll see there that Geterbrewed on this side of the pond have been breaking bricks of the Lallemand into 25g packs for some time now, I'll believe the "official" retail packs when I see them, they've had real viability problems with it. Yes it is derived from beers made with Conans - they're a bit careful on that.

But going back to your original selection, I'd probably go for 1469 as probably the most different without getting as fussy as WLP037, and as a core strain it's obtainable.

Also worth a read of this thread on temperatures :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...emps-and-profiles-cybi-other-thoughts.221817/

Since ESB isn't a certified style (though of this I could simply care less, seeing as I find the entire certification issue to be a complete waste of time) I guess I'll just have to call it a Fuller's ESB clone attempt while using something other than a strain that is merely purported to be actual Fuller's yeast, but doesn't bring along with it the real Fuller's flavor profile.

After mulling this over, I've settled upon giving WLP041 a try. This beer is now in my que, with only a Kölsch ahead of it.

Emptier's ESB.png

Why not to call it a strong bitter or maybe just a strong ale. With different yeast, the beer is not going to be especially Fuller's-like and this is especially true if you use different hops. The grain bills in these strong bitters(esb included)/ales/barley wines etc. resemble each other(with minor changes in type & crystal-% ), but yeast, OG and the specific hop combination makes each brand (such as esb) a bit different.

Many retailers state in their description for WLP041 that it is more fruity than WLP002. What type of fruit flavor ester is associated with WLP041, and it is at the level of being fruit dominant and cloying? Would this yeast be more suited to an NEIPA than to a strong bitter along the lines of Fuller's ESB?

The yeast suppliers all post a chart with flavor profile, esters, optimum temp, etc on their website. It's pretty handy.

All I can see on the White Labs website is that WLP041 produces mild esters. I can't find their description of the specifics for the esters. They do consider WLP041 to be appropriate for ESB.

Many retailers state in their description for WLP041 that it is more fruity than WLP002. What type of fruit flavor ester is associated with WLP041, and it is at the level of being fruit dominant and cloying? Would this yeast be more suited to an NEIPA than to a strong bitter along the lines of Fuller's ESB?

I've only used it once and I'm away from my notes, but it's more British-fruity than something dominant like WLP644 or whatever, my real memory is of it just being really drinkable. So fine for a British style beer but would also work for a NEIPA, without being one of the super-fruity options that you can use for the latter.

I would suggest trying West Yorkshire (NOT Yorkshire square) / Essex Ale. These should be more or less the same yeast. Gives a little "more" than Pub if that makes sense.

Yorkie Square is way too much of a yeast for me. I did half a dozen batches and not one was good. Sometimes pure Saison, sometimes developed that way 2 months in the bottle, sometimes something else I don't remember. I wuz so excited to get my first vault yeast strain. Sometimes the vault strains are that for a reason, eg difficult to work with.

WLP041 had a banana ester for me which is not my favorite flavor, but it also had something else fruity that offset it a little.

Banana ester can creep in when temperatures are higher than desired during fermentation.

Banana ester can creep in when temperatures are higher than desired during fermentation.
Temperature controlled to 68F for 3days, 70F for 2day then allowed to naturally drift down to 68F (happen in 10hours), maintained at 68F until kegged day 8.

Doubled checked temp range for wlp041 and it is 65 to 68F, I believe at the time it was outside of the recommended range should of started after esters would normally be produced.

86% british base malt, 7% medium british crystal, 7% corn sugar. 1046 starting gravity finished 1014.

Back