Equipment storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricshayne

Reaction score
Weird question, when I'm not brewing I store my buckets inside of each other and inside if my mash tun(10 gal round HD cooler) all my hoses and tools are in the buckets as well. I don't really clean my tun after use, I just rinse it and get most of the grain off, my question is do I need to be worried about a Lacto infection on my equipment from any grain remnants in my tun, or do I need to RDWHAHB?

You need to be a little careful about stacking buckets and storing stuff in them - you don't want to scratch them up. Small scratches are hard to see and clean - they can harbor bacteria over time and eventually lead to possible infections.
You do not need to break out the soap and scouring pad...... but I would be doing more than "getting most of the grain off"....... I would be rinsing all of it off.
Ultimately, it is pretty damn hard to eliminate all grain dust. That is why you wash your equipment well before brewing and then sanitize it as completely as possible before putting it in contact with coldside wort....If you do that, you will be ok.

Just be cautious with your plastic bits and metal bits in plastic.
Clean up your stuff so you don't get mold growing.
Then relax.

Yeah,stack storing can lead to scratched buckets. I have an old printer stand repurposed as a fermenter stand & storage unit. Then a cheap Walmart 2' x 4' table for bottling that I keep my bench capper, bottle tree, BB on. I just bought a chrome plated wire shelf to store other things on.

The wire shelf is from Home Depot for $50. The dunnage containers were like 7 bucks each.

You only need to clean anything that touches your wort before boiling. So your mash tun is fine clean of gross debris.
I wouldnt stack the fermenters as is explained above.
Clean your tubing, etc well and sanitize everything that touches wort or beer post boil just before use.

Do NOT stack buckets

The bottoms will pick up bits of grit and that will end up inside your other buckets, making small scratches.

It takes more space, but I keep my buckets with the lid on, and can stack two of them without worrying they will fall over or get knocked over.

My #1 rule with my plastic buckets - Nothing goes in them except beer/hops, plastic auto siphon, plastic tube, or a nylon bag.

I appreciate all the replies guys! Honestly I'm not too worried about scratching my buckets as I believe the fear is overblown, the question still remains, can I get a Lacto infection on my fermentation equipment from storing it in the mash tun?

I appreciate all the replies guys! Honestly I'm not too worried about scratching my buckets as I believe the fear is overblown, the question still remains, can I get a Lacto infection on my fermentation equipment from storing it in the mash tun?

So long as you sanitize thoroughly and properly before use you should be okay.

I had an infection about a year into brewing, and I attribute it to storing tubing, racking canes, and other stuff in a bucket with my wooden mash paddle. I think the infection was in the tubing or racking cane, and it caused me to lose two batches because I racked both to secondary the same day.

I now keep any tubing that will touch the wort when cold in areas where it can hang up and drain fully dry after use.

Honestly, the less attention you pay to this stuff increases the odds that something will gain a strong enough hold to get past your sanitizing step. Especially if you're putting buckets in a mash tun where bits of grain can give nasties a food source. In my opinion, you're playing with fire here.

Best of luck...

Especially if they're stacked. Locking in the air can cause the moisture to grow nasties. I'd change that myself.

Back