Equipment organization

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocDriza

Reaction score
I feel like this is a weird thing to ask, but here is goes.

I bought a house that has a cool little room, in the garage, I'm going to use for my brewing equipment. I'm asking for suggestions for the best way to organize my stuff.

I have your typical equipment.
Carboys
Fermenting bucked
Keggle
Mash tun
Kegs
Bottles (I still bottle to age some batches. Just getting ahead of that discussion)

It also kind of serves as a man cave but that's a minor point. There are plans to get a fridge or two for fermentation.

Thanks in advance.

20180903_082941.jpg
20180903_082942.jpg
20180903_082945.jpg

Last edited:
Use metal storage racks with adjustable shelves?

That's what I use, 48"W x 18"D x 72"H. Most come with wheels too. Weight capacity is like 200-300# per shelf. They come is silver, black and sometimes other colors. $60-100 per 6 shelf unit.

One other thing you might consider, depending on your space, is shelves on casters. I built a rolling shelf unit because I had no more wall space against which I could place shelving. So I double-stacked the shelving with a rolling unit. I can roll that away to access the shelving behind it, and roll it back to allow passage past it.

I'm sure you can get wire shelves with casters, though they're likely to be a bit pricey. In my case, I took a wooden furniture dolly and repurposed it by building a platform on which I placed a plastic shelving unit.

It's a nice way to increase the effective floor space if you need to do that.

buckets.jpg

What I was needing most was a way to organize/hold all the small stuff, so I made this rack to hold some storage bins. I store my immersion chiller and a fermenter on top of it. I plan to build another unit of the same size, but with wider spaced shelves, for storing bigger things (fermenters, kegs, etc.).
IMG_20180129_172854_604.jpg
IMG_20180127_171138_123.jpg

Where do you get those shelves? I need some.
[Edited]
Commercial steel wire shelves similar to these, totally adjustable, with the notched round poles. 600# capacity per shelf.

Wire Shelving (Sam's).jpg

About 8 years ago I bought a bunch of those heavy duty ones with a chrome finish, 48"W x 18"D x 72"H, at Sam's Club for around $90-100 per unit, containing 6 shelves, four 6' steel poles, shelf fasteners, casters, etc. The ones I linked to still seem to include plastic shelf liners, not many others do.

Later I bought a few more through NewEgg on a special for ~$60 each, shipped. A little bit lighter duty, made from slightly thinner wire, and black epoxy coated, but otherwise they are the same. Maybe those are 300# or 400# per shelf, still plenty strong for our purposes.

Last edited:
What I was needing most was a way to organize/hold all the small stuff, so I made this rack to hold some storage bins. I store my immersion chiller and a fermenter on top of it. I plan to build another unit of the same size, but with wider spaced shelves, for storing bigger things (fermenters, kegs, etc.).

I really wish I had the wood working skills to make something like this.

Back