Equipment on a budget

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodHokie4

Reaction score
So, I know and fully understand that you shouldn't skimp on equipment and will get a better product if you're using the proper tools (as is the case in any task).

My main question is:
Has anyone ever used a mesh strainer in place of those nylon bags? I'm working under a pretty tight budget and those thugs can be pricy.

Secondly, what piece of equipment have you rigged up yourself?

Are you just going to sit the strainer on the edge of the bucket with the fruit dangling into the liquid below?

Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap pair of pantyhose. Separate the legs, and then you can use the same pair twice, and toss them when you are done. I've never used a nylon bag.

I was going to just use the strainer over my primary as I poured the must into it. However, your dollarstore idea is much more ghetto-tastic...I like this idea much better!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Walmart womens knee highs. Plain white for .33 cents a pair. Work great for dry hopping with marbles.
Or go get a 2 pk of 5g paint strainers from Home Depot for 3.80. I use both and toss the hoe's after a single use. Strainer bags are good for a few batches.

I used Wally-World store brand sheer curtain material. One package made several strong keggle sized bags.

You have two choices here. Prepare a excuse to tell the sales clerk why you're buying cheap pantyhose, or find some way to convince your significant other why you need hers. lol

Happy Brewing.

Is that prepackaged or does your wallyworld have a sewing section? WVMJ

I used Wally-World store brand sheer curtain material. One package made several strong keggle sized bags.

Latest posts

Back