Equipment for the beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I'm moving on up in the world of brewing to doing all grain batches. Why move to all grain? Because it makes your beer better and it's less expensive. Mostly because it's less expensive, the beer always taste pretty good to me. ( I know I sound like an idiot)

So, where do I find the best priced stainless steel brew pot?

Or brew kettle or least expensive way to turn it into a brew kettle.

I know I want it inexpensive but I don't want it cheap. Let's stick with stainless steel pots for a good price.

I would start by looking at sites like:

Northern Brewer
Austin Homebrew Supply
Midwest Supplies
Brewing Hardware

Just to name a few.

Don't think you have to go with a SS brew pot. I checked with a restaurant supply store, and got a 10 Gal Aluminum kettle for 30 bucks.

There are several threads on building a MLT on this site.

+1 on this. I have a buddy that has been brewing with an aluminum turkey fryer that he got with the burner from Home Depot for $60 about 6 years ago. The last Homebrew competition he entered he got 2nd place... You can find the pot and burner packages for like $30/$40 after the holidays on sale and it's worth looking in to.

Stainless steel brewing pot may be available at your nearest restaurant. Just vistit there and buy your favorite. Not so expensive as you got panic.

+1 on this. I have a buddy that has been brewing with an aluminum turkey fryer that he got with the burner from Home Depot for $60 about 6 years ago. The last Homebrew competition he entered he got 2nd place... You can find the pot and burner packages for like $30/$40 after the holidays on sale and it's worth looking in to.

Yup, found my "Turkey Fryer" at Wally World for 44 bucks and they took 20% off when I got to the register. Said it was on sale, Oh well I'll just have to be satisfied to pay a bit less. Oh darn.... A 10 gallon rubbermaid is like 40 bucks so you got heat and mash tun covered for 80. and all you need then is a 6.5 gallon ferment bucket for 15-16 bucks and yer in bidness!!! So around a hundred bucks will get ya in and making all grain. You can upgrade as you wallet recovers from the hundred dollar vaccination...
Thats what I am doing while I weld my sculpture.
Bob

I purchased my kettle from the site below. It's 13 Gallons heavy duty Stainless Steel. For 160 Shipped. It comes with a steamer rack that was a plus because I do BIAB and it allows me to direct fire with the bag in the water. I then purchased my 3 piece ball valve and sight glass from barginfittings.com., my Blichmann thermometer from AustinHomeBrewSupply.com. and a step bit from harborfrieght.com.

All in all I believe it ran me about $250 to do it myself. But if you do get the kettle that im refering to make sure to bring your muscles because drilling the holes through the thing was tough work. It's walls are a thick SOB. And after doing so I can see why some people pay the extra money just to buy a kettle pre drilled with the fittings they like. But it's all up to you.

http://http://www.kitchenfantasy.com/shopping_cart/stockpots.html

Back