Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I called it. Nashville will be content with finally beating the Wings, they won't go far. You can quote that too.

Last year that was true, they were content with a first round win. I couldn't disagree more that it's the case this year. They've been there now, and the moves they made at the deadline added playoff experience. That, coupled with how they're playing... Rinne's playing out of his mind, Hal Gill should be back which will allow Weber to spend less time on kills, they're the first team to advance winning 2 games in Detroit's building where just winning one is no small feat. If I were to pick a team out of the West, right now, it's Nashville.

biestie said:
Last year that was true, they were content with a first round win. I couldn't disagree more that it's the case this year. They've been there now, and the moves they made at the deadline added playoff experience. That, coupled with how they're playing... Rinne's playing out of his mind, Hal Gill should be back which will allow Weber to spend less time on kills, they're the first team to advance winning 2 games in Detroit's building where just winning one is no small feat. If I were to pick a team out of the West, right now, it's Nashville.

I know I'm going to sound like a homer by saying this, but I wouldn't underestimate the Blues if I were you.

Not at all, like I said, if I were to pick a team, it'd be the Preds. The Blues making it wouldn't shock me either. But we're fans right, we can over/underestimate all we want!;) If there's a Blues-Preds matchup in the conference finals, I'd give an edge (maybe slight) to Nashville for 2 reasons. It's looking like the Blues will have to spend 2 series traveling to the west coast prior to that, and with 2 teams from the same division that know each other so well, goalie play will be a big factor.

Rinne's playing out of his mind, Hal Gill should be back which will allow Weber to spend less time on kills

Rinne's going to come back to earth, no way he goes through 2 more rounds playing like that. They really don't have a great offence, Howard let a few through he shouldn't have, even though he was very good last night(no shot on either goal). A team with a very good goalie (St.Louis, LA) that can score 3 goals a game should beat them. Nashville never scored over 3 goals in the series.

wildwest450 said:
Rinne's going to come back to earth, no way he goes through 2 more rounds playing like that. They really don't have a great offence, Howard let a few through he shouldn't have, even though he was very good last night(no shot on either goal). A team with a very good goalie (St.Louis, LA) that can score 3 goals a game should beat them. Nashville never scored over 3 goals in the series.

I don't know, he's played like that against the blues all year. But all the teams that are going to move on have great goaltenders. In fact, the best 4 goalies in the west (at this point) look to move on. I don't think that's a coincidence.

I don't know, he's played like that against the blues all year.

He wasn't pushing .950 in the regular season, I promise you that. He's at another level right now, if he keeps it up, he will single handedly win the cup.

I just don't see it happening, meaning I hope those red neck *****bags don't win the cup.:)

FreshZ said:
In fact, the best 4 goalies in the west (at this point) look to move on. I don't think that's a coincidence.

What about Schneider who leads the 'GAA and savepct'??

Torres suspended for 25 games. I would link to it, but I am posting from my cell phone.

Seriously, everyone is up in arms over how these suspensions are going. Can someone explain how this hit is different from Neal's hit on Couturier in Game 3 that Neal didn't get a fine or even a minor penalty on? I saw both during the games live, not at the game, but on TV, and have watched the replays. I don't see much of a difference...both left their feet, both hit the head, Torres at least hit a player who had recently played the puck, Couturier hadn't played the puck.

Only difference I can see is Hossa went off on a stretcher, Couturier did not.

Anything else?

jtkratzer said:
Seriously, everyone is up in arms over how these suspensions are going. Can someone explain how this hit is different from Neal's hit on Couturier in Game 3 that Neal didn't get a fine or even a minor penalty on? I saw both during the games live, not at the game, but on TV, and have watched the replays. I don't see much of a difference...both left their feet, both hit the head, Torres at least hit a player who had recently played the puck, Couturier hadn't played the puck.

Only difference I can see is Hossa went off on a stretcher, Couturier did not.

Anything else?

They looked identical and that just feeds into the inconsistancy of the suspensions.

They looked identical and that just feeds into the inconsistancy of the suspensions.

Just wanted to confirm it wasn't my orange-tinted glasses. Couturier hasn't earned star status yet, but the dude is a special player who should do amazing things in the league. Neal isn't a star yet either, with one solid 40 goal season.

I'm not claiming conspiracy, but it's certainly odd how the two hits have been handled.

Just wanted to confirm it wasn't my orange-tinted glasses. Couturier hasn't earned star status yet, but the dude is a special player who should do amazing things in the league. Neal isn't a star yet either, with one solid 40 goal season.

I'm not claiming conspiracy, but it's certainly odd how the two hits have been handled.

Maybe because Couturier has a stretches the truth as much as a politician:
http://articles.philly.com/2012-04-19/sports/31368075_1_neal-ice-scott-hartnell

Couturier, as a guest of Comcast SportsNet's "Daily News Live" on Wednesday evening, said he was "knocked out" and "unconscious" after Neal's suspension-worthy hit late in the third period.

When asked to further clarify his comments, Couturier admitted that he did say he lost consciousness on "Daily News Live'' but that he misspoke.

OK, enough of the jab.

The reality is that Shanahan spelled out why the suspension is so long:
"In addition to the fact that three separate NHL rules were violated with this one hit, two other factors were critical in determining the appropriate length of suspension:

"First, this violent and dangerous hit caused a severe injury.

"Second, Torres not only is a repeat offender as defined by the CBA, his extensive Supplemental Discipline history consists mainly of acts very similar to this one – including two this season."

So, the injury is a primary reason for the longer discipline.

As you might remember, I though Neal would get a 3-4 games, I guess he got less because he's a nice guy on a favored team and the hit was on a Flyer. :)

Maybe because Couturier has a stretches the truth as much as a politician:
http://articles.philly.com/2012-04-19/sports/31368075_1_neal-ice-scott-hartnell

OK, enough of the jab.

The reality is that Shanahan spelled out why the suspension is so long:

As you might remember, I though Neal would get a 3-4 games, I guess he got less because he's a nice guy on a favored team and the hit was on a Flyer. :)

And injury should have very little to do with it. Intent should be the foundation. If you shoot someone, and they don't die, you still get a whole host of charges like attempted murder, aggrevated assault, etc. You don't get a talking to by a judge and walk.

Prior history is definitely a part of it, and Neal had priors as well. I honestly couldn't care less who the parties involved are, I just think if the league really wants to show it has credibility and isn't a damn beer league like it's looked like the first week of the playoffs, they hammer everyone equally.

And for good reason.

Torres tries to kill players. Simple as that.

He's cut in the Matt Cooke mold, where the only way to get it through his goddam head is to give him a ridiculous suspension, and hope it sinks in.

Worked for Cooke. Let's see if this retard finally gets it.

And injury should have very little to do with it. Intent should be the foundation.

I happen to agree with you on this, but that isn't the way it is currently done. So, it isn't a matter of inconsistency, that is if Couturier had gone out with a neck brace on a stretcher instead of being back in the play in under two minutes, Neal's suspension might have been longer.

Rinne's going to come back to earth, no way he goes through 2 more rounds playing like that.

We see it in many, perhaps most of the NHL playoffs. The most recent being last year, a teams goalie gets hot and carries them to a cup.

They really don't have a great offence,

Their offense is a lot better than what we saw in this series, at least it was in the regular season. This isn't the same Predator team that we saw in years past, the team that just played solid fundamental hockey, but got kind of outskilled come playoff time. The only teams left in the west that had a better offenses in the regular season were Vancouver and Chicago, and Nashville had the leagues best power play.

I really don't have a dog in this hunt (my team won't win a cup, not this year, not ever (Northstars)). I like the Preds, and the Blues for that matter... but based on what I saw during the regular season, and this post season, the Preds are who I'd pick to come out of the west. Would it shock me if someone else did? No, but it also wouldn't shock me if they score 4-5 goals per game in the next series on the way to the conference finals and possibly beyond.

I happen to agree with you on this, but that isn't the way it is currently done. So, it isn't a matter of inconsistency, that is if Couturier had gone out with a neck brace on a stretcher instead of being back in the play in under two minutes, Neal's suspension might have been longer.

Which is stupid and doesn't teach Neal anything. He'll do it again. Or like Malkin's hit on Couturier last night, others will keep doing it as long as they see that as long as they don't put someone in the hospital, they won't miss significant time, if any at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with everything you said except him not hitting the head... sure looked like he did to me. But it was absolutely a hockey play, that probably deserved a penalty since he hit him high, but he was going for the puck and didn't leave his feet so that's all there should've been.

Man, you keep bringing this up. First, he got a penalty for it. Second, the puck was in the vicinity. Third, he (Malkin) doesn't leave his feet. Fourth, he doesn't hit Couturier's head.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/18715978/video-evgeni-malkin-hit-on-sean-couturier

Please, quit whining about this.

If you want to see Malkin hit someone, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ivdVRpEpto

Good to go. But other people see the contact to the head. And the next time Boy Wonder takes a hit like this and his brain is turned to mush, I don't want to hear/read any complaints.

If you look at that video it doesnt even seem like malkin even really threw his shoulder into him. More like he let him skate right into malkins shoulder.

Hmmm... Boston fans are pretty quiet these days. Hmmm... Holtby is really making a name for himself. I for one applaud him for that.

Definitely good stuff from Holtby. He's so cool in the crease. He's really a calming influence on the team. Game four was wonderful. I was there. It's great to see the Caps do to the Bruins what the Habs did to the Caps a couple years ago, keeping shots to the perimeter and letting an untested goalie work some magic.

And in other good news tonight, Detroit is eliminated.

Nashville does have the UGLIEST uniforms.

I thought they were ugly the first time I saw them, but they've grown on me. Look a lot better in action than out of context.

Also. . . woo Preds! Southern hockey, y'all

Holtby has been fun to watch...even back in his Hershey days. If the Caps pull this off, they get the Rangers and the Flyers get the winner of the Florida/NJ series.

jtkratzer said:
Holtby has been fun to watch...even back in his Hershey days. If the Caps pull this off, they get the Rangers and the Flyers get the winner of the Florida/NJ series.

Assuming NY makes it past the Sens, which doesn't seem to be a given anymore. And assuming the Flyers don't tank now that Fleury has managed to start making some of the saves he should always make.

Assuming NY makes it past the Sens, which doesn't seem to be a given anymore. And assuming the Flyers don't tank now that Fleury has managed to start making some of the saves he should always make.

And since both of those posts, the Sens won Game 5 to take a 3-2 lead. Only division winner leading their series is Florida, who many said didn't deserve to even be in the playoffs. This is why the games are played.

So, if Philly, Florida, Ottawa, and Washington win their next game, the second round looks like:

Florida | Ottawa

Philly | Washington

All big ifs, and it'd be nuts that Florida might be the highest seed left, not as the 3 seed, but Florida in general.

The West is looking like:

St Louis | LA
Phoenix | Nashville

Back