Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dunno, but the actual "fighting", even in this series, is much less than I remember even a decade ago. Although I DO know people who think a game is boring until there's a fight, and I think they're idiots.

However, you got big guys, playing close quarters in a small rink, at very high speeds. Pair those facts with human nature, and things are going to get physical, and sometimes even violent. For the VERY SAME REASON that it's such a fast and exciting sport, there's going to be an element of violence in the game whether you like it or not, so you can enjoy the game knowing that's how it is, or just don't enjoy it. Complaining about how physical hockey is, and that it can even turn violent, is like complaining that there's too much violence in the UFC. I don't mean to say that violence is an objective or should even be part of the draw of hockey, but unless you make the rink the size of a soccer field, and/or take away the skates (slowing down the pace), it's going to be an inherent part of the game that can't be removed without changing the sport to such a degree, you might as well stop calling it hockey. It's not about saying "F you" to potential fans who might watch the game if it were somehow less physical - it's just that it's simply not possible, if you want to keep the elements that make hockey "one of the fastest and most exciting sports on TV".

With that being said... these past few games have featured a lot sneaky, underhanded, and dirty playing, by both sides. Obviously some are going to disagree with me because nobody wants to think their team won any way but fairly, but Boston has really been piling it on with a bunch of dirty moves, too small to get much attention from the refs, but frequent enough to make Vancouver play frustrated and angry, rather than calm and collected. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is hardly innocent, but it seems to be almost central to Boston's game plan. Marchand is probably the worst offender, and I'm not even talking about that stack of penalties he managed to earn himself all at once. He's especially been targeting Vancouver's key players in the Sedin twins, and despite the fact he's a tiny guy, the Sedins have a reputation of being pushovers, and they're certainly allowing him to continue to get away with that crap. Funny thing people keep bringing up the counterproductiveness of the instigator rule - if players were able to police themselves a bit more, that little **** would be too injured by now to keep playing.

Ultimately though, despite the massive amount of penalties being handed out, the refs are giving players FAR too much leeway, and allowing the games to get way too emotional. They need to start calling every little thing and regain control of the games - only then do we have a chance of seeing some good, and fairly balanced hockey, rather than these mindgames (and eventual explosion of tempers) that have dominated the last few games.

arturo7 said:
dvmn mj, you got a cliff notes version of that post?

It's impossible to separate violence from hockey, and the Bruins play exceptionally dirty.

How was that?

Bulls Beers said:
+1000..." Get rid of the violence"???? The hitting is more violent than the fighting. Does he want to get rid of the hitting?? C'mon, this is Hockey for Christ sake...

Yeah, I agree with that. Most of the serious injuries come from the hits and not the two punch, sweater around the shoulders, high school wrestling match fights.

Hockey isn't second tier because of the violence. Someone gets a concussion every Sunday in the NFL and the crowd goes crazy for huge hits.

Hockey is second tier because it's not American and most Americans can't go to the local park and shoot the puck around. They lack the connection.

I dunno, but the actual "fighting", even in this series, is much less than I remember even a decade ago. Although I DO know people who think a game is boring until there's a fight, and I think they're idiots.

However, you got big guys, playing close quarters in a small rink, at very high speeds. Pair those facts with human nature, and things are going to get physical, and sometimes even violent. For the VERY SAME REASON that it's such a fast and exciting sport, there's going to be an element of violence in the game whether you like it or not, so you can enjoy the game knowing that's how it is, or just don't enjoy it. Complaining about how physical hockey is, and that it can even turn violent, is like complaining that there's too much violence in the UFC. I don't mean to say that violence is an objective or should even be part of the draw of hockey, but unless you make the rink the size of a soccer field, and/or take away the skates (slowing down the pace), it's going to be an inherent part of the game that can't be removed without changing the sport to such a degree, you might as well stop calling it hockey. It's not about saying "F you" to potential fans who might watch the game if it were somehow less physical - it's just that it's simply not possible, if you want to keep the elements that make hockey "one of the fastest and most exciting sports on TV".

With that being said... these past few games have featured a lot sneaky, underhanded, and dirty playing, by both sides. Obviously some are going to disagree with me because nobody wants to think their team won any way but fairly, but Boston has really been piling it on with a bunch of dirty moves, too small to get much attention from the refs, but frequent enough to make Vancouver play frustrated and angry, rather than calm and collected. Don't get me wrong, Vancouver is hardly innocent, but it seems to be almost central to Boston's game plan. Marchand is probably the worst offender, and I'm not even talking about that stack of penalties he managed to earn himself all at once. He's especially been targeting Vancouver's key players in the Sedin twins, and despite the fact he's a tiny guy, the Sedins have a reputation of being pushovers, and they're certainly allowing him to continue to get away with that crap. Funny thing people keep bringing up the counterproductiveness of the instigator rule - if players were able to police themselves a bit more, that little **** would be too injured by now to keep playing.

Ultimately though, despite the massive amount of penalties being handed out, the refs are giving players FAR too much leeway, and allowing the games to get way too emotional. They need to start calling every little thing and regain control of the games - only then do we have a chance of seeing some good, and fairly balanced hockey, rather than these mindgames (and eventual explosion of tempers) that have dominated the last few games.

Really?

I beg to differ. The real "cheap stuff" hasn't started until the past couple games were WELL out of hand. Surely there is a bit of marginal stuff that goes on in the game, but that is present in every single game of the season and playoffs. If a team isn't pushing the envelope a bit, trying to get any slight advantage that they can, then they aren't engaged in the game.

I wouldn't single out Marchand for this-- Burrows is a complete ******, and Kesler can be as well. Their antics are at least as bad as Marchand.

About the only thing I'll agree with you on is the fact that I don't give a rat's ass about "attracting new fans" to the game. I've seen what San Jose considers "fans", and they don't know **** about the game, despite having a team for 20 years. The "warm weather" stuff has failed miserably, as evidenced by a second franchise failure in Atlanta. Bettman is a moron, and should have been removed YEARS ago.

Marchand is playing a brilliant series. He has totally taken the best players on the Canucks and marginalized them. It reminds me of how Stevie Kasper used to climb inside Gretzky's sweater and take him out of the game.

If a top player let's himself get flustered because a lesser player is smacking him around all night that's not an indictment of the lesser player. Should Marchand stop harassing the twins? That exchange they kept showing over and over from the beginning of the game was outstanding. Marchand had Sedin not knowing if he was an orange or a banana. Brilliant! If Vancouver doesn't like it they should do something (i.e. score) to make him stop.

What happened in the B's game? I was busy brewing 80 proof cough syrup so I can try to one up my portly hero.

knight-1.gif

This morning the local sports radio was suggesting some new names for the Sedin girls...

Cagney and Lacey

Laverne and Shirley

Thelma and Louise

Betty and Wilma

ZhaZha and Eva

But I think my favorite has to be Torvil and Dean.

Maybe they ought to consider putting on some glitter.

PTN

I missed the game too. Wednesdays are my night to host my post-op tranny support group. We get together inmy fruit-beer brewing shed and talk about our feelings. I love those guys... I mean GIRLS. Ooooo I'm all silly this morning. Must be the estrogen shots! Gotta run! Toodles!!!

What.... the..... ???

paulthenurse said:
Maybe they ought to consider putting on some glitter.

PTN

The glitter would just shake off the first time they flopped to the ice and starting going into convulsions of agony after someone accidentally breathed on them. Why spend the money on glitter if it is only going to be on for the first nine seconds of the game?

(ps. Milbury calling them Thelma and Louise during the broadcast was tremendous.)

The "warm weather" stuff has failed miserably

That's why Tampa Bay went to the conference finals with a new coach and GM and consistently have 15K plus in attendance. That number goes over 20K
per game when there's something at stake. Not all of the "warm weather stuff" has failed. Admittedly, this is due in part to the huge population of transplants and touristas down here but the numbers don't lie.

I usually can't stand Miilbury. He is becoming a soccer mom with his anti fighting crap, even though he was the guy beating the fan with a shoe!!. He was probably the worst GM in the history of the game as well. Really screwed the Isles.

But I kind of wish I heard him call the twins Thelma and Louise, because that's just plain funny. CBC has been so blatantly homerific for the Canucks I'm starting to get embarrassed for my country.

Gotta say about the 'violence in hockey' and 'second tier sport'...who cares? Hockey is a violent sport. It always has been - see my post a few pages back for a list of charges brought against players because of on ice stuff up through the 70's. There has been manslaughter charges for the beating deaths of players with hockey sticks on the ice!

These finals are rough, but that's what makes hockey great. That's why the Stanley Cup is the greatest trophy in all of sports, and the hardest to win.

cclloyd said:
That's why Tampa Bay ... consistently have 15K plus in attendance. That number goes over 20K
per game when there's something at stake.

75% capacity is considered successful?

Cape Brewing said:
You're forgetting the exchange rate... 75% down here is like 110% up your way.

Somebody hasn't seen the exchange rates lately. That joke would have worked a few years ago BEFORE your dollar tanked miserably :)

How are those rose colored glasses treating you?

For every shot that Marchand has taken, Burrows has out done him on the cheap shot scale. I made a comment to my girlfriend last night that Burrows must be public enemy number 1 for sports athletes in Boston right now.

If Bill Laimbeer, Bucky Dent, ARod and Burrows were walking through southy, I am relatively certain that the first three would walk out unscathed.

I am not going to sit here and look like a complete jackass and say that the Bruins are innocent here. However to say that the Bruins are the exclusive issue, or even the majority of the problem, here is asinine and outrageous.

For every shot that Marchand has taken, Burrows has out done him on the cheap shot scale. I made a comment to my girlfriend last night that Burrows must be public enemy number 1 for sports athletes in Boston right now.

If Bill Laimbeer, Bucky Dent, ARod and Burrows were walking through southy, I am relatively certain that the first three would walk out unscathed.

I am not going to sit here and look like a complete jackass and say that the Bruins are innocent here. However to say that the Bruins are the exclusive issue, or even the majority of the problem, here is asinine and outrageous.

Agreed... and I'll go one further and say, for the fifth time, it is the absolute bush-league pansy way they go about it that makes me want to put my beer glass through the TV.

Thomas' blatant hack at Burrows in the slot last night for example... all you saw was Thomas tomahawk Burrows with his goalie stick and I'm thinking, "c'mon... even I think this is getting out of hand now" and then the announcers basically say... "something HAD to have happened for Thomas to do that".

They re-wind the tape and sure enough... as Burrows is coming through the crease he slashes Thomas' goalie stick out of his hands.

REALLY??? That's a &%^#in' pee wee bush-league move. I was pissed Thomas didn't just drop the stick and level Burrows.

Everywhere you turn in this series the Canucks pull that pansya$$ bushleague stuff and the B's just turn around and punch 'em in the face. At least the B's have a set of balls and stand up to the guys face about it.

Bieska and Peverly the other night... Peverly gives him a hook which apparently ruptured Bieska's ovary because, SHOCKINGLY, he went down as if he had his spine severed.... the rewind the tape... YEAH... 'cause Biaska slashed the &*^% out of him from behind while Peverly had his back to him.

Odd how Peverly barely flinched but retaliated and Bieska almost needed to be effin' medivaced to the nearest medical center.

Effin' gutless pansies... every one of 'em.

I already mentioned Hansen's goal from Monday... a two-handed chop to Krecji while Krecji had his back turned to him... Krecji goes down and Hansen walks to the net wide open and scores... "Yeeeaaaa!! Look at me!! I can hack the &%^@ out of someone and score on an easy goal!! I'm so talented!!" And again... when Krecji actually went to the Canucks bench and challenged his manhood... "Ummm... sorry... I'm nice and toasty on the bench. I don't want to step out there and injure my vulva"

Every minute of watching the Canucks makes me want to puke.

ALL of that said... Marchand WAS allllll over either Thelma or Louise last night. I can't remember which.

If you really look at what Burrows did was be tied up in front and swing around to get away. Did he make contact with Thomas's stick, yes. On purpose, maybe. If Thomas wants to make himself part of the game like he is, he has to put up with the same thing every other player on the ice does. He slashed Burrow and deserves everything he gets from it. I truely hope that if he is willing to dish out the checks and put himself so far into the play, that he is willing to be treated as another defenceman and take the hits.

And enough of the faking stuff to get a call, both teams are doing it just as much as the other and it makes the game look more and more like soccer every day. The high stick the one of the Sedins got called for never came anywhere near his face (Boston Dman, can't remember who), and he is flailing like he got shot.

Personally think that the refing in the series is a joke. Missing blantant penalties (Bostons 7 man penalty kill) and the phantom slash on Peverly, even though his own man took him down. And there have been a bunch go the other way as well, and then the game gets out of hand. If you are going to be Reffing these games, do your damn job, or just stay out of it and let the boys handle themselves. Penalties are being called and no one is sure who even is getting it.

75% capacity is considered successful?

Considering the fact that during the entirety of hockey season we can still go to the beach, play golf, go fishing (not through the ice btw), and generally move around outdoors without freezing our a$$es off then yeah, 75% is pretty good. See, we have other pursuits here with which to entertain ourselves besides scraping ice off our cars and shoveling our driveways.
I love wearing my Lightning jersey with shorts and flip flops. :)

bosdave said:

Poorly, apparently. They're causing you to completely disagree with my 20/20 vision and insight.

bosdave said:

So your argument is that a Vancouver pest (and I freely admit he is a pest, and not playing so cleanly himself), would be hated in the hometown of the opposing team during the Stanley Cup finals? How shocking! However, this point is entirely fallacious (begging the questions).

bosdave said:

I anticipated disagreement, but to call my assertion asinine and outrageous is actually pretty ironic. I never said that the Bruins were the sole and exclusive offenders - in fact, like you, I explicitly stated that both teams were part of the problem. But there are obviously only two teams in a game, and since it's pretty unlikely from a practical standpoint for both teams to contribute to the problem exactly equally, one of the teams DOES have to be the majority contributor to the problem, and suggesting that it's Vancouver is beyond delusional.

Cape Brewing said:
and then the announcers basically say... "something HAD to have happened for Thomas to do that".

They re-wind the tape and sure enough... as Burrows is coming through the crease he slashes Thomas' goalie stick out of his hands.

Ignoring the fact that Burrows was just trying to free himself (and that Thomas shouldn't expect special goaltender treatment when he insists on playing practically the entire rink)... therein seems to lie a big source of the different points of view. Those kind of comments from announcers are seriously unprofessional and show a clear bias. And since the viewers listen to what they say, and see only what broadcasters decide to show them (obviously, often prompted by the announcers), that bias is obviously going to trickle down to the viewers. In case you need it spelled out, that means you (and me too, for that matter.)

BWAAAAAWW HAHAHAHAH!!!

LOL!!! Ohhh man.. You guys are killing me.

"Burrows ALLEGEDLY knocked the stick out"
"On purpose?? maybe"
"If thomas is going to play the whole ice then that perfectly justifies a 8 yr old bush league move"
"Hmmm the Canucks are NOT the big huge pu$$ies you keep saying they are and no matter how many examples you give, I'm going to refuse to see it and hold my breath until you stop your big mean words!"

LOL!!!!

Cape Brewing said:
I'm going to refuse to see it and hold my breath until you stop your big mean words!"

LOL don't flatter yourself. I don't really care if you don't want to take off the blinders. It's only going to make it that much more hilarious when reality eventually mouthphucks you and you're forced to swallow every last gooey drop of Canuck victory.

It would be worth the argument if the situations you bring up actually happened the way you see them.

Burrows did not skate through the crease, he was positioned in front for a shot from the point.
Peverly did not hook Bieksa, he turned his stick over and spiked him in the back of the legs, not once but twice.

Things look a little different when you watch a game that actually happens.

It would be worth the argument if the situations you bring up actually happened the way you see them.

Burrows did not skate through the crease, he was positioned in front for a shot from the point.

And?? WTF is your point? Thomas was IN the crease. Burrows was two feet in front of him. And?

Burrows turned, slashed Thomas' stick above his hand knocking it out of his hand.

Explain to me in exactly what way I'm seeing that incorrectly.

Peverly did not hook Bieksa, he turned his stick over and spiked him in the back of the legs, not once but twice.

TWO GAMES AGO!!! You're not even talking about the same effin' incident.

LOL don't flatter yourself. I don't really care if you don't want to take off the blinders. It's only going to make it that much more hilarious when reality eventually mouthphucks you and you're forced to swallow every last gooey drop of Canuck victory.

Jesus... too much gay porn lately dude???

I'm buying the jersey of the team who wins. I've got an old Canucks jersey but I like the new ones, and if Boston wins I get another Original 6 jersey.

I'm picturing Meaty dancing around in his living room wearing a Canucks sweater and a smile, singing "I'm too sexy for my shirt, too sexy for my shirt!"

Man, I REALLY could have done without that mental image. A cold chill just ran up my spine. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

LOL... Nah, I picture it more like him standin' in front of the mirror checkin' out his super cool new jersey... "Wait 'til the guys on line hear about THIS!! They're gonna think I'm the BEST!!! Honnnnnnney!!! Can you take picture of me in my super cool jersey so I can show the guys onliiiiine? What? Cause it'll be cool!!! Huh? JUST DO THIS FOR ME!!!!!!!"

Back