Equally Obnoxious Hockey Trash Talk Thread, eh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who is the greatest player ever and why? Im an oilers fan, I live in edmonton but I dont think its gretzky........ Start the arguments

Its at 9am here. Every other game is at 3pm. That's why my comments are in the middle of the night for u guys. We record every game, then fast forward through commercials and Milbury.
I thing Gordie epitomized the best of the best for hockey players. The guy was a stand up gentleman off the ice, a leading scorer, passer, and fighter. That is BADASS!!!!

I go with bobby orr . He could do it all shoot,skate score,play defense and fight. Also if I had to draft an alltime in a fantasy league format I have no doubt that I would take him #1overall. You wouldnt score a many goals as if you took gretzky or howe first, but you wouldnt give up as many either.

It would almost hafta be a power forward, someone that did everything. I can't relate to the old timers because I'm only 39. Tough question.

Goofynewfie said:
I go with bobby orr . He could do it all shoot,skate score,play defense and fight. Also if I had to draft an alltime in a fantasy league format I have no doubt that I would take him #1overall. You wouldnt score a many goals as if you took gretzky or howe first, but you wouldnt give up as many either.

I still think Gretzky. You gotta hand it to him. All time leader in goals, but if he never scored a single goal, would still lead all time in points. That's just sick. Orr would be a close second. Lemieux 3rd. Guy was producing after cancer and being the owner and multiple retirements. Mike Bossy should be in the conversation too.

ColbyJack said:
Its at 9am here. Every other game is at 3pm. That's why my comments are in the middle of the night for u guys. We record every game, then fast forward through commercials and Milbury.
I thing Gordie epitomized the best of the best for hockey players. The guy was a stand up gentleman off the ice, a leading scorer, passer, and fighter. That is BADASS!!!!

You know how many Gordie Howe hat tricks, Gordie Howe had? 2. We should call it the Stan Mikita hat trick.

His presence was enough to scare people away.
Just like Brian Boyle!!!

Ahahahahaha. I crack myself up.

Honestly. Gretzky was named the great one for a reason.

Orr won the scoring title as a d-man. He beat out lafleur,esposito,clarke,hull,etc. He only ever.played.one season healthy, most of his career his knees were shot

Gretzkys point totals are unreal, but I do think that they were inflated by who his teammates were and the era he played in. there was an average of almost 8 goals a game compared to 4 to 5 all other eras

sivdrinks said:
I thought somebody's wife in ownership comment "look at those flyers go"? Thought I heard that on Daily News Live once.

Also true, Sniders wife at the tine suggested Flyers apparently.

Gretzkys point totals are unreal, but I do think that they were inflated by who his teammates were and the era he played in. there was an average of almost 8 goals a game compared to 4 to 5 all other eras

Hmmmm. I see where you're going with this argument, and I agree on the era part, but not the teammates bit. Of course, Gretzky played on a loaded team, but so does/did Crosby and Kane. So did Lemieux. The era, on the other hand, was a big deal. For some reason, when Gretzky went into "his office" (behind the net) he was able to pick teams apart like he was JR on the stupid TV screen they draw on. His vision of the ice was unparalleled. His work ethic was second to none, or so the media told us.(eyes rolling)
Inflated? No.
Supplemented? More likely.
I actually didn't enjoy watching Gretzky play. It was so different from everyone else on the ice. He was able to slow the game to his pace, then break free on an odd man rush, and bury a slapper from the top of the circles. He did it with such ease it was like he paid off every keeper in the league.
Just my .02

The Rangers got their name from the original owner. His name was Tex Rickard. As they got the team organized, they became known as Tex's Rangers, and it stuck.:rockin:

Points are misleading, most are. When I think of hockey I think of gritty, sacrifice, sport before everything else. This and players will always be argued forever, and goalies will never be included. My era: Yzerman, Stevens, Blake, Roenick, Leetch, Nolan. Just some guys off the top of my head, I'd lovely have any of th quarterback my team. Maybe that's the criteria, who do you want quarterbacking your team?

Maybe that's the criteria, who do you want quarterbacking your team?

Well, me of course!!! A chance to play with any of the people mentioned would be a dream.:D

I'm actually younger than you Siv. 33 years young! Brett Hull, Mike Modano, Mark Messier, Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic etc. etc. etc.

This is a tough choice indeed.

I usually avoid the "best player" nonsense, but I can't leave this one alone...

Brett Hull? Are you fraggin serious? Sure, the boy could score, but he refused to put forth any effort on D or in the corners for most of his career.

Isn't that sacrilege for a Blues fan??? haha
I was just listing him as one of the greats of my adolescence. Another guy that jumped ship to get a cup. I would do the same. How long until Joe Thornton does the same? Yes. I said it.

ColbyJack said:
Isn't that sacrilege for a Blues fan??? haha
I was just listing him as one of the greats of my adolescence. Another guy that jumped ship to get a cup. I would do the same. How long until Joe Thornton does the same? Yes. I said it.

Hull turned into a much better overall player once he left STL. He never scored like he did here, but was a more complete player.

Somebody I forgot to bring up, but falls into the bobby Orr argument of always hurt but still achieved is Peter Forsberg. That guy was unbelievable. The best complete player I've seen in my lifetime. Physical, passing, defense, and could put the puck in the net with anyone. Tough as nails too. Best swede ever IMO.

FreshZ said:
Somebody I forgot to bring up, but falls into the bobby Orr argument of always hurt but still achieved is Peter Forsberg. That guy was unbelievable. The best complete player I've seen in my lifetime. Physical, passing, defense, and could put the puck in the net with anyone. Tough as nails too. Best swede ever IMO.

hard to choose between him or nicklas lidstrom as best swede ever IMO. Have to go with Teemu Selanne as best finn ever

That was quite a recovery by the Rangers. I was really worried when the game started. Lundquist was stellar. Marty was incredible. Traffic in front for the game winner. I love this series!!!!!

The better team, lol. The better team is the one that wins the game!!

I thought DeBoer was gonna cry!! But we did everything right, sniffle, sniffle.

Rangers did look flat though. Guess those 7 game series are takin a toll. Love to see Hank stepping it up and shutting em down.

LET'S GO RANGERS!!!!

Give Hank all the credit, but it boils down to one thing. If u wanna be Champs, u gotta score on the best goalie in the league. They didnt, Rangers did, game over.........

I was thinking it was gonna get nasty out there. I did hear them mention we are closer to getting Dubinsky back from injury. Prust had an awesome game!!! What a fireball. Mcdonagh is a machine. 5 shot blocks AGAIN. I just love this team!!!
Go Rangers!!!

Cause Broadways never been so Blue Collar. Cause if u want it, you gotta work for it...........

My favorite part of the game yesterday, other than Girardi getting the game winner, and other than Henrik getting his 2nd shutout of this series, had to be the MARTY chant in their house!!! Hilarious!

Yup, and they tried to start up a quick let's go devils to cover it up.

The devils organization sent out a statement to season ticket holders to not sell their tickets on stub hub and go through the organization so the tickets don't end up in the hands of ranger fans...

FAIL...................

Bleh. I miss ONE Kings game and they end up losing. Last time I miss a game... promise.

Anybody know what happened?

The devils organization sent out a statement to season ticket holders to not sell their tickets on stub hub and go through the organization so the tickets don't end up in the hands of ranger fans...

FAIL...................

Yeah. I read that article too. Operation: No Blue Shirts. Be sure to meet the person somewhere public where you can interview them and find out where their loyalties lie. Haha. What a joke. I was surprised by how much blue I saw in the crowd.

Latest posts

Back