Epic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cape Brewing

DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
40 gallons of water
28 lbs of salt
8 lbs of honey
10 lbs of sugar
6 bulbs of garlic
100 lbs of ice

275 lb hog

All combined and resting nicely in a 100 gallon tank until Friday morning

(I openly mock Ravens fan's cute little drum smoker)

40 gallons of water
28 lbs of salt
8 lbs of honey
10 lbs of sugar
6 bulbs of garlic
100 lbs of ice

275 lb hog

All combined and resting nicely in a 100 gallon tank until Friday morning

(I openly mock Ravens fan's cute little drum smoker)

yummy roasty smokey pig!

1) a thread by Cape
2) titled "epic"
3) in the smoking sub-forum
4) a 275lb hog being brined
5) without pics???????????????????????????? GTFO! :D

pics or it's all bs

I'm no expert at pig brining, but isn't 5 days a bit much? Are you trying to pickle it?

LoL. You guys are funny.

Screw pics. I'll have my annual vid.

On the brine time, I did a 57 lb pig a few months ago for about 3.5 days and that one was damn good. This hog is basically five times the size so I don't see the extra 36 hours as inappropriate.

... then sometime this week I need to grab the beef short ribs, turkeys, ducks, chickens, linguinca, and make the andouille that will all get stuffed into the pig before it goes into the ground.

oh... and so far, we have 22 kegs lined up. So... there should at least be a few decent beers.

Here... I took a quick pic with my phone while I was topping off ice this morning.

pig brine.jpg

The "roasting pan" I had fabricated by a local welder is ready!!! Yeeeaaaayyyy!!!!

11 gauge steel. Apparently it weighs about 150 lbs.

yeeeaaaaayyyyy!

Pics tonight if I have time for the doubting Thomases. "oooo no pics means it didn't happen".

Please.

Are you going to set up some sort of winch to raise and lower it in the pit? Or just a bunch of guys to help?

11 gage seems really thick, why so thick? And why a pan at all, I thought you had the pig roasting down to a science? To much fat/juices flowing out? If so, don't you dare throw that stuff away!

And why doesn't PTN **** all over your projects like you do his? Want moar thread ****ting!

yes pictures! I am working on a regular pig roasting party and am looking for some ways to create a more ummm... organized? process than how I learned:

Light big fire to burn to coals.
put coals under grate.
Temp is right when you can hold your hand over the grate for a 7-8 count before pulling it away.
Pig goes on.
Open bottle of whiskey.
Throw cap of said bottle into coals fire.
Begin drinking.
Drink slow enough to not pass out.
Pig is finished when bottle is gone.

Great memories from a summer in South Carolina!

Dataz... I grabbed a 1 ton chain hoist and I'll set up a frame over the pit so I can get it in and out.

Spanish... 11 gauge because this thing has to hold over 300 lbs of meat and I don't need it folding in half and dumping the hog into a fire. I don't think it is that overkill at all.

I have wrapped the pig for years and then this past winter, I tried a stuffed pig that I did in a "roasting pan" and was really happy with how it came out. I have always wrapped it to "keep the juices in" and since I am now brining, I'm not worried about it drying it out. Plus, the only thing I have been missing (even thought I, personally, don't really care) is crispy skin. The roasting pan method will provide that.

Plus... since I'm stuffing it, all of that meat inside will baste in pork fat... for the win.

And... really??? PTN doesn't **** **** all over my projects??? Have you READ my threads?? I asked Paul not to nuke my 40% ABV thread and he's been sitting in the corner pouting ever since. And if you read all of my other threads, my dear friend Paul is there 99.999% of the time driving a screwdriver into my kidneys.

Andouille made
Linguica bought
Turkeys bought
Chickens bought
Ducks being bought tomorrow
Roasting pan is here
Firewood being delivered tomorrow (cutting it freakin close)

This is the small version I did over the winter. This weekend I am doing a 300 lb version (275lb hog and then all of the rest of the meat)

Last edited by a moderator:
Was up at 5:45. First beer got cracked at 6:05.

Pit cleaned out and good fire going.

Four turkey breasts on the smoker for later stuffing into the hog.

Hmmm. Shoulda Pigcasted!! Nah, too early. No one would be on.

Just watched the video....you are my hero. Can I blow off camping with my wife and her friends this weekend and come to your house?

Damn, I really wish I could have made it up for this. This could easily be top 10 most epic things on this entire site.

Dataz... Wait until you see the vid.

I have actually offended myself with how over the top obnoxious I went this year.

I can pigcast. Eff it. Its just a laptop

Dataz... Wait until you see the vid.

I have actually offended myself with how over the top obnoxious I went this year.

I can pigcast. Eff it. Its just a laptop

screw pigcast. (streaming stuff is blocked at work) just throw it on youtube so we can all watch it later.

I can't get over how freakin' jealous I am right now....I wish I never opened this thread this morning. Can't wait to have crappy hamburgers tonight....yeah!

Back