Entry in NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eppo

Reaction score
The ESB I brewed for NHC has a spicy character. Otherwise, its pretty good.
Do you think I'll take a huge hit for this?
for this beer, I chilled the wort down to 63 and added my yeast starter. Do you think that the temp difference caused yeast distress?
I wasn't to prevent this next year.
Thanks

What is your recipe? Please include yeast strain, mash temp, ferm temp and any other detail you might find relevant. How spicey? And if you get dinged for it man, don't worry, use the feedback you get to make it better next time.

If you used certain hops, like saaz, there is a distinct "spicy" character that comes from them. If you've got a spiciness that is in there, then yes, I think you'd take a hit on it.

In an ESB, they'll be looking for carmelly flavors, fruity yeast esters, possibly floral character from some UK hops, but spicy is NOT part of the profile.

I used EKG. Wondering if I fermented too cold. Haven't noticed a spiciness the lady 2 times I made it.

eppo said:
I used EKG. Wondering if I fermented too cold. Haven't noticed a spiciness the lady 2 times I made it.

I definitely get some earthy spiciness when I use EKG for flavor - say 15-30 minute additions. When did you add the EKG and how much?

my hop additions were:
1.2 oz EKG at 60 minutes
0.5 oz EKG at 20 minutes
0.5 oz EKG at 1 minute.

Back