Enough yeast to keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waidan

Reaction score
As I'm looking at trying to keep some yeast between batches I'm getting close to cold crashing this batch and keg it.

I'm wondering if this amount of yeast would be suitable to keep? Is there enough in there to possibly use in a new batch later on? I'll expect there to be more after cold crashing.

If so this will be my first attempt at this, lid on loose as it's already a mason jar, or aluminum foil it?

View attachment 1483812925607.jpg

Absolutely, I'd say that you have a little north of 100B cells there. I've had great success with even less than that. I always build a starter though. I'd seal it tight with a canning lid and put it in the refrigerator. That will keep for several months.

Keep in mind people build up starters from yeast in commercial bottles, so not much is needed to get something going. I think you want to keep the lid loose to let excess co2 escape. I had a bad experience with a tight lid. I keep mine loose for months with no issues.

If you can get a bead on the slurry volume I would figure 1.25-1.5 billion cells per milliliter. That will give you a little cushion for dead cells and trub.
Use it as quickly as you can. Within two weeks without a starter, up to a month with a starter, roll the dice beyond that but a lot of people do it.

Thanks for the information. Not sure I'll keep this particular batch as it was a high abv and it did get a little on the warm side one day (after fermentation was complete thankfully). So I'm sure they're a little stressed.

Was mostly seeing if it would be what I should be looking for

Thanks for the information. Not sure I'll keep this particular batch as it was a high abv and it did get a little on the warm side one day (after fermentation was complete thankfully). So I'm sure they're a little stressed.

Was mostly seeing if it would be what I should be looking for

What is the OG of this beer and what yeast did you ferment with? Some yeasts like high temps and are still worth harvesting.

Unfortunately I can't find the instructions to this kit, and I cannot find the ingredients listed online.

It is a Belgian dubbel and it was a dry yeast pack (I did rehydrate it). This was my 4th kit from them and the other 3 were us-05 and I know this was different.

I know when I found it hot the fermometer on the outside was not even registering. It is in a small room which I'm using a space heater to help limit it from dropping to far. This time I must have just nudged it to high.

Unfortunately I can't find the instructions to this kit, and I cannot find the ingredients listed online.

It is a Belgian dubbel and it was a dry yeast pack (I did rehydrate it). This was my 4th kit from them and the other 3 were us-05 and I know this was different.

I know when I found it hot the fermometer on the outside was not even registering. It is in a small room which I'm using a space heater to help limit it from dropping to far. This time I must have just nudged it to high.

Waidan- Welcome to the brewing game, your newest and best obsession. Just a suggestion- print out your recipes, and brewing notes, and eventually tasting notes, and keep them in a notebook. Or do everything online. But however you do it, keep extensive notes. It'll help you get better and better with your brewing prowess.

Yeah I plan on keeping more. I have my other 3 kit recipes intact, this one seems to have vanished.

I have reached out to them to get more information

Just an update on the type of yeast. It was Safbrew BE-256

I'll be kegging this today, so I'll probably keep it anyways since most of the packaging for it is already done for me

Back