Enough space to not need a blowoff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingervitis

Reaction score
Just got an old glass carboy from my girlfriend's uncle from when he used to brew ~15 years ago. Question is, do I have enough room for foam to not need a blowoff tube? Its about 6.5-7 inches below the stopper where the 5-gallon line is (I highlighted it in photoshop with a green line). I like to brew porters and stouts, and I hear higher gravity beers need more room for foam in the primary, is that true? Here's a pic:

dscn7783t.jpg

It can never hurt to throw a blowoff tube on there. I would say just put one on if this is your first batch in a while and see how it goes, then play it by ear from there.

You're probably right, can't hurt. Do most people use tubing attached to a stopper, or tubing that fits snugly inside the opening of the carboy?

I use a 6.5 gallon carboy for 5 gallons batched and still get blowoffs on almost every other brew. There's no such thing as enough head space to avoid it. I just don't worry about it much since I ferment in the garage.

gingervitis said:
You're probably right, can't hurt. Do most people use tubing attached to a stopper, or tubing that fits snugly inside the opening of the carboy?

Snug tubing that fits in the opening. Smaller tubing can potentially clog, sometimes leading to wet ceilings.

How long should a blowoff tube be left on a primary?

Until active primary fermentation is done, which is generally a few days if you pitched the right amount of yeast and have a good temperature. It will likely be pretty obvious - once you see the krausen starting to come down, you'll know it's fine to swap out the blowoff tube for an airlock.

You don't really have to change from a blow-off tube to an airlock. The blow-off set-up is in effect an airlock. If you want to do so; if not don't.;)

I ferment almost exclusively in 5 gal. carboys and almost never use a blow off. I fill my carboys quite full too. I do tend to ferment on the cool side, plus I use FERMCAP. It does a great job at limiting foaming during fermentation (and boiling if you have foam over issues)

I've heard about Fermcap, obviously you don't notice anything bad that it's contributing to your beer if you always use it, right?

I use silicon drops but still get blowoff in my 5 gallon carboy, albeit milder. Its food grade stuff, safe in small amounts, and sinks into the.trub once fermentation settles down.

Back