Enough boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks a little weak to me. At what point was the video taken...well into your boil or right as it was reaching boiling? Also, are you doing extract brewing or all-grain?

There are 2 (that I can think of) for the boil in your wort. First is to drive off DMS which will get you a creamed corn flavor in your finished beer if allowed to remain. DMS is formed in the boil from SMM in the grain. If your grains don't have much SMM, then you don't get much DMS to boil off. Many modern malts don't have much SMM so a weak boil is not a problem.

The second reason to boil is to isomerize hop oils because that is where bittering comes from. Since the isomerizing happens at temps over ~180, any boil is sufficient.

DMS is part of the reason I asked if the OP is doing extract or all grain; if extract, driving off DMS precursors isn't as big of a concern. But that really isn't what I'd consider a rolling boil...kinda looks like bloop, bloop, bloop. But again, not necessarily a problem.

Sorry! All grain

I make all grain has well i have yet to experience any major off flavours. I really enjoy most of my beer so i'm convinced that when i don't get what i want it doesn't have anything to do with a relatively weak boil. Like i said i still lose 3 liters or so per hour.

Latest posts

Back