Enhancing Extract Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phishheadmi

Reaction score
I debated whether this thread should go in the extract forum or recipes...

I recently purchased three extract kits during Northern Brewer's sale. I bought the "Nut Brown Ale Extract Kit with Specialty Grains" the "Smash American Session Ale" and the "Spiced Winter Ale Extract Kit with Specialty Grains".

Has anyone brewed any of these beers? I'd like to "enhance" these kits a bit to get them a little closer to what we usually drink. The one I'm most interested in is the SMASH...this is the only one of the three without specialty grains. I'd like to try to turn this into more of an Imperial or IIPA...maybe steeping some specialty grains for added flavor/body/abv? Any suggestions?

The nut brown, I'd maybe just like to kick up a notch...I love English browns, but from what I've been reading on this kit, it seems like maybe this is kind of a watered down version. Suggestions to ramp this up a bit...ABV, body, mouthfeel?

The winter spice I'll just keep as is...maybe only add half the mulling spices as I've read the full amount can get pretty perfumey...

So, you don't know what these taste like as a base yet, but you want to expand on them to improve them...

8oi5qch.jpg

I get your point, but I likely won't be making these again so I don't exactly want to try them first then play with the recipe on subsequent batches. The only reason I bought them is because they were ultra cheap, quick to the glass and close enough to what I like to be modified. Had these kits not been on sale, I would've purchased all grain recipes for exactly what I like.

I don't have to try a SMASH Extract American Session Pale to know it's not going to be exactly what I'm looking for. I KNOW that I want more ABV from it, I KNOW that I want more body from it, I KNOW that I want more depth of flavor from it. Instead of your knee jerk response, why don't you put some thought into your reply? (thanks though, for at least digging up a decent meme to attach).

If you have something constructive to contribute, I'm all ears. If not, why waste your time and mine?

I'm sorry that you thought my response was "knee jerk" and that I put no thought into it.

:)

I'm sorry too for flying off the handle, I typed that post while taking a break from a stressful situation at work...usually I let reactive posts/emails ruminate for a while then re-read before sending...should've done that here. I see now how acerbic my response was and I apologize.

OK, to keep things on an even keel, a serious answer - check out some recipes here for these styles of beer, see what your kits do & don't have, and pick & choose what you like to add to each.

IDK about turning the SMaSH into a DIPA, but maybe add a little wheat to it (10% or so) and maybe even a little C40 malt to at least get it up to regular pale ale territory? Or if you do want to boost it all the way up, add some other base malt, say if the kit comes with two-row, add some Maris Otter, Golden Promise, or even Vienna to make it more interesting & complex.

For the brown I hear chocolate malts can be a nice addition, and some C120. Maybe Munich if you want to boost the ABV?

All apologies for coming off like a jerk before, if so.

:)

One way to bump up a recipe, is to brew it at a lesser volume. Never tried it, but Brewers Friend has a free recipe calculator. The recipe calculator will help to keep the IBU/GU balance.

Easiest solution: Don't dilute as far as they recommend.

In any case, I just made the 5gal spice ale kit in a double-brew day (alongside a 11 gal AG), and even after diluting it to 5.25 gal in the fermenter, it was at 1.052 (advertised was 1.047).
The base prices (no need for yeast, sugars, etc) were great for someone short on time -- I picked up the APA also (plan to hit it with extra hops and a mini-mash), and the wheat ale (plan to make it a quick hefe or berliner weiss).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I need to brew a light beer for family coming in for the holidays, so I think I'm going to give Bier Muncher's Centennial Blonde a try. I think I'll just order a little heavy on the grains for that brew and use the extra for a mini-mash for the SMASH kit. I'm thinking .5LB of 2 row, .25LB Crystal, .25LB Vienna and maybe like 2-3 OZ Cara-Pils. Also, thinking of adding an OZ of amarillo at flameout and an OZ of amarillo dry hop. Thoughts?

I think for the nut brown, I'll just not dilute as far as they recommend and for the spiced, just thinking of going easy on the spices as I'm not crazy about overly spiced or perfumey beers.

The brown is pretty good. I got two last year + free Big Mouth Bubbler. They were the cheaoest kits to get the free BMB.

I added half the same speciality grains again, and mashed all the grains with some 2-row to get 12 gallons of 1.044 wort and fermented 4x3 gallon batches with 4 different yeasts. Was a good yeast comparison, and a very respectacle brown ale.

I don't use much extract, maybe 1 or 2 lbs a 6 gallon batch (partial mash 8 to 9 lbs grain a batch), and use extract for starters. But I too bought some of NBs kits in the sale. I got 6 of the smash kits + a WLP yeast vial. For $104 I got 36 lbs of Pilsner extract, 18 ozs Simcoe, and a liquid yeast, delivered - pretty good I thought. I have no intention of making the kits. The extract should last me a year, and the small containers fit nicely in the fridge for storing. The hops will probably go in 2 hoppy Pale Ales. And the yeast was one I've wanted to try for a while, and will use in several brews. I didn't have to get the yeast, but shipping was already paid for.

I know I didn't answer your question, but if you really don't want to make the kits, use the ingredients to suppliment other beers. Really, the crushed grains are the only thing you need to use relatively quickly. Start with the grains, create your own recipe, brew all grain, or partial mash, and use only what extract you need, and save the rest for starters or supplimenting other beers.

You don't have to use all 6 lbs of a container in a single brew. I just weigh the container, pour some out, with a single finger wipe off the top when I think I have added enough, then weigh again. Seal and store. You have an accurate measurement of what you used with little mess.

I think I'll just order a little heavy on the grains for that brew and use the extra for a mini-mash for the SMASH kit. I'm thinking .5LB of 2 row, .25LB Crystal, .25LB Vienna and maybe like 2-3 OZ Cara-Pils. Also, thinking of adding an OZ of amarillo at flameout and an OZ of amarillo dry hop. Thoughts?

Adding only a lb of grain it's still going to be a pale ale, around 1.049-1.050 and 5% or so, though I like your additions with the hops. If you want an IPA you'll want to add about 4 lbs of grain to the kit, or 6-7 lbs for a DIPA. And then up the bittering addition and load up on late hops.

Back