English IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't made an English IPA in years, and I've got a hankerin'! The thing is, I'm low on English hops. I have two ounces of fuggles, and two ounces of EKGs. I'm also low on torrified wheat, but I have wheat malt. I like victory malt in my English beers, but I only have biscuit malt.

Anyway, here's what I"m thinking:
10.5 gallon batch
OG 1.056
IBUs 45

18 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 3 79.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Biscuit Malt Grain 4 6.6 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.4 %
1 lbs Wheat - White Malt (2.3 SRM) Grain 6 4.4 %
1 lbs Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 7 4.4 %

2.75 oz Cluster [7.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 9 32.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 4.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 3.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 3.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.80 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 13 2.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.00 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 14 0.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Willamette [5.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 15 0.0 IBUs

The only English yeast strains I have are Wyeast 1335 and S04. I think I'd use the Wyeast 1335.

How's it look?

Here's the thing. If you want to brew an American ESB or English inspired whatever, your recipe looks good. However, real English IPA's are an entirely different thing altogether. Recipe wise they are very simple, usually just Maris Otter or another flavorful English base malt and maybe a touch of torrified wheat and/or crystal malt. Biscuit malt is largely redundant, as you should be getting plenty of flavor from your basemalt.

Hopping is usually 60, 30, flameout, and dryhop. I'd save the EKG for the flameout and dryhop. 1335 a good yeast choice.

Probably not what you're expecting to hear, but someone has to stand up for properly made English IPA's. I'm sure that whatever you decide to make will taste nice. :)

:eek: Yoop! I thought Fuggles make you puke!?! I think someone hijacked your account.

I know! Bob convinced me about a year ago to use some fuggles in an APA as he had a beer he loved that had some very earthy tones in the finish.

I started with willamette/cascade and then went ahead with a tiny bit of fuggles. It didn't kill me, so I'm ok with trying 2 ounces in a 10 gallon batch. I'm trying to bring out my hidden "dirt" loving persona.

(Plus I think the EKG and willamette will help it not taste too dirty- I hope!).

I have an issue with my HLT today, so I'm not going to brew this tomorrow as planned I'll come back and revisit it next week.

Bierhaus, thanks for your input. I'll consider your advice over the next few days to see what I want to do.

Wouldn't the biscuit be a bit redundant with using MO? I've not used Willamette hops yet, so no opinion there. I've also never used any wheat in my brews, and really don't think it's needed in this one. If you like it, fine, I just don't see it's need/benefit.

I think you could make something great with just MO and the little C80 (I prefer the British crystal malts myself). If you're up for getting ingredients (and don't have it scheduled to brew in the next couple of days) I'd go with some Crystal MO (Rebel Brewer has it) instead of the biscuit and C80. IME, it gives you the benefits of the crystal (it's a C55 malt) but maintains the flavors of Maris Otter too. I make it a point to always have some on hand.

BTW, I really like WY1335... Only one that competes with it for top spot (it's a tie really) is WY1882-PC. I have some of that left, which I plan to keep using (starters) until they release it again. Fingers crossed that it's in the list of offerings starting in January.

Here's the grain bill for an English IPA that won the category in a local competition that drew over 800 entries:

20 lb Maris Otter Crisp (UK) 80%
1¼ lb Crystal 55L Simpsons (UK) 5%
1¼ lb Flaked Wheat Briess (USA) 5%
1¼ lb Biscuit Dingeman (Belgian) 5%
1¼ lb Turbinado Sugar in the Raw (USA) 5%

Hops were Northern Brewer for bittering, both Tett and Cascade for flavor and aroma.

Back