English IPA - Dry Hop or Not

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do I dry hop this and if so with what...

• No please don't dry hop

• Yes with 1oz Whole East Kent Goldings

• Yes with 1oz Whole Fuggles

• Yes with Half Fuggle and Half EKG

Results are only viewable after voting.

GreenwoodRover

me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have an English IPA recipe that I've been conditioning for a while, I'm almost ready to bring it on line but it just seems something is missing, maybe my palate is singed from the IPA and Hoppy APA that I've been enjoying, but I figured I'd post the poll above with my options, If I dry hop it will be with 1oz total weight of leaf hops...

Code:
Recipe:
Amount Item Type % or IBU 
11 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 78.57 % 
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 % 
8.0 oz Crystal Malt - 60L (Thomas Fawcett) (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 % 
8.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 % 
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 8.5 IBU 
1.50 oz Challenger [7.50 %] (50 min) Hops 32.6 IBU 
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 10.5 IBU 
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (15 min) Hops 6.8 IBU 
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU 
0.55 oz Burton Water Salts (Mash 60.0 min) Misc  
1.10 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc  
1 lbs 8.0 oz Dememera Sugar (2.0 SRM) Sugar 10.71 % 
2 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mashed at 154 for 60min.
FG was measured at 1.012

edit:
FWIW my original vote was for half and half...

An English IPA won't have the left-coast citrus burn, regardless of how much Fuggles and EKG you toss in. Let it be.

I like Fuggles, so I say DH with them. Forget about the citrus burn the fresh earthyness would be good. :)

My recipe above already showed options listed that i hadn;t included yet so it's been edited.

I'm not looking for a citrus burn, I just thought that my (granted, un-carbed) samples seem to be missing something...A depth or layer, maybe the notty finished too clean or the (mostly) goldings hops schedule wasn;t complex enough...

I say dry hop it. There is something to say about keeping in tune with a particular style, but do what you like. I'm thinking about brewing a double ipa - porter hybrid. Just because.

Another idea would be to dry hop half of the 5 gallons, and not do the other half.
Thats my vote :D

EKG's are the most traditional. I always use them for dry hopping my English IPA's, and think it makes a noticeable improvement.

-a.

If it were a 10 gallon batch I'de definately split it.
Currently I have (2) 2.5g corny (one empty one filled with apfelwein) so it's definately and option.
My worry is that if one is way better than the other (chances slim that the addition of a HD would alter it that much) I'd be annoyed that I don't have more of the better (more betterer??).

In my experience, and I've done a lot of split batches for yeast and dry hops, splitting batches is a great exercise. Fun to drink the two side by side and really get a good, strong idea what's going on. Sure, you might like one better. I usually do. But it's still a fun experiment.

I would. Just don't overdo it. I'd want some hop nose, but nothing like its American counterpart.

Well the majority 70% of votes are for a dryhop of some sort, with the majority of those votes going for EKG.

In an effort to keep it subdued I'm going to do 1/2oz pellets to start and see if more is needed later.

Thanks for all the input!

Back