English Barleywine, which yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1318. I love the over-the-top esters it produces, along with the maltiness it preserves. As flavorful as any clean yeast I can think of. It doesn't attenuate very well, but that can be easily fixed by adding a tiny amount of something that does.

WLP028 Edinburgh Ale because it produces wonderful malt forward beers without destroying hop character.

EDIT: It took mine from 1.107 to 1.026

I'm definitely going for something that will attenuate well. I'll be shooting for 13%...

I was happy with WLP007. Finished well and provided a slight estery profile that compliments. Mash low, add some simple sugars, oxygenate heavily. This should finish nicely.

I haven't tried it, but I think this could be interesting. You'd probably need something else to finish it though.
WLP023

I should have finished my thought last night. Kinda drunk.

I should say I haven't tried it on a barleywine. I did use it a few months back on a pumpkin ale. It really brought some malt character forward with nice fruity undertones. I'll use it again next year on the pumpkin ale.

Thanks for the input friends. I'll be mulling this over and doing a bit more research. I'd like to use a yeast that can finish the job alone, without pitching a second strain. Although, it depends on whether I can come up with a strain that will maintain the flavor profile of an English Barleywine.

I think you will struggle to find an English yeast that will run 13% and attenuate well. English yeasts are generally lower attenuators than their American counterparts, and 13% is asking a lot of most yeasts.

I like WLP022, because it attenuates well, but probably maxes out about 11%.

To be sure of finishing, I think I'd plan to use two yeasts. An English yeast for flavors, and something to finish it off (3711, WLP099, or other).

Either pitch both together (make the English starter 2 to 3 times that of the other yeast), or pitch the English yeast first, and then pitch an active big starter of the second yeast after a few days.

here's a fun idea -

primary pitch of Wyeast 1968/WLP002. their clean/fruity esters are really tasty. they leave a really smooth malt profile that is super tasty. ferment at 64 to start and roust the yeast on day 7 or whenever you see fermentation really slow down

secondary pitch of WLP090 for a clean, HIGHLY attenuated finish.

Shoot big .. like 1.125ish and low

throw in an oak spiral for icing on the cake

I think you will struggle to find an English yeast that will run 13% and attenuate well. English yeasts are generally lower attenuators than their American counterparts, and 13% is asking a lot of most yeasts.

I like WLP022, because it attenuates well, but probably maxes out about 11%.

To be sure of finishing, I think I'd plan to use two yeasts. An English yeast for flavors, and something to finish it off (3711, WLP099, or other).

Either pitch both together (make the English starter 2 to 3 times that of the other yeast), or pitch the English yeast first, and then pitch an active big starter of the second yeast after a few days.
My common sense and experience tells me that you are likely correct when it comes to pitching a second strain..
here's a fun idea -

primary pitch of Wyeast 1968/WLP002. their clean/fruity esters are really tasty. they leave a really smooth malt profile that is super tasty. ferment at 64 to start and roust the yeast on day 7 or whenever you see fermentation really slow down

secondary pitch of WLP090 for a clean, HIGHLY attenuated finish.

Shoot big .. like 1.125ish and low

throw in an oak spiral for icing on the cake
I have used 090, and I think that may be the strain I choose as my secondary strain.

I like the oak idea, but I love oak. I tend to over use it. On this batch I'm thinking less is more. I want to go au natural I think.

I can live with the idea of pitching a secondary yeast. I would prefer one strain (maybe because I'm simplistic and a little lazy), but I'm not opposed to doing what is necessary to make this beer the way I want it to be. I do definitely want the English character to be there, but I also want the ABV. 090 is kind of a no brainer as a secondary strain for me, but I still want to be sure to use the right primary strain to get the flavor I'm after. I want it to be "English" in character as much as possible.

Thanks again for all the great feedback guys..

What about pitching WLP645 as a secondary strain to get your attenuation? Brettanomyces claussenii was supposedly isolated from an English stock ale or something originally so it may be more traditional than you'd think. I suppose the biggest risk would be overattenuation.

What about pitching WLP645 as a secondary strain to get your attenuation? Brettanomyces claussenii was supposedly isolated from an English stock ale or something originally so it may be more traditional than you'd think. I suppose the biggest risk would be overattenuation.

That very well may be true, but I'm not looking for Brett character in this.. What I mean when I say I want true English character is, I don't want it to be Belgian, American, Irish, etc.. Just looking for the malt and fruitiness that is typical with English strains.

Back